Chapter Nine

Apple stopped sobbing after fifteen minutes and said that we should start moving. She didn’t want to stay in one spot.

Erica was still looking at the ground as she said, “We should drop the kids off somewhere and go get supplies.”

Apple didn’t say anything. She pretended to be preoccupied with her gun, so we shifted our gazes to Calvin instead.

“That sounds like a good idea,” he started to say slowly. “But, where exactly are we supposed to drop them off?”

Erica looked annoyed as she tried to look around for a safe area. I scratched my arm and said, “We could go to the old shelter.”

Erica and Calvin looked over at me before exchanging looks. “It sounds like a safe enough place,” Calvin said, still looking at Erica for her approval. “As long as it wasn’t taken over.” Calvin turned to look at Apple, who was still fiddling with her gun. “What do you think, Alex?”

Apple had a look on her face that was indescribable. It wasn’t happy, but it wasn’t sad, or angry. I really could not tell her mood…. She put her gun back in her belt and pushed her bangs out of her eyes as she began to walk ahead of the group. “Let’s go,” was all she said.

Calvin and Erica exchanged worried looks but followed Apple without anything to say. Carson and Brooklyn followed, and I walked behind them.

When we arrived at the old shelter Erica scoped everything out before saying it was okay to leave us here. We all climbed down into the shelter and Calvin lit the last of our candles so we could see.

“So what exactly is the plan?” Calvin asked. “Should I stay here with the kids in case anything happens or—”

“Can’t leave you here,” Erica cut him off as she shook her head. “No offense, but you aren’t going to really protect them from anything, mister, ‘he waited till I had my pants at my ankles,’” Erica finished with a smirk.

Calvin raised his eyebrow in disbelief before looking over to Apple for backup. “Tell her I can protect the kids!”

Apple raised her eyebrows as she thought. “You can hardly shoot, Calvin,” she said, shrugging.

Calvin’s eyes widened as Apple’s words sank in. “Are you kidding me?”

Erica had a look of amusement as she watched Calvin. Apple shook her head and looked like she was fighting off a smile. “I can promise you, I am not kidding, Calvin.”

Calvin’s mouth dropped and I failed to hide a giggle. Erica laughed as well and Apple turned away to hide her smile. “We’ll need more hands to grab stuff anyway,” Apple said.

“Wait, are you saying all of us are going?” Calvin asked.

Apple nodded. “Well, except Clem, Brooklyn, and Carson.”

Calvin opened his mouth to protest, but Erica cut in. “I agree with Alex. We need more supplies than normal, and with three people we can get a hold of more things.”

Calvin shut his mouth. Then opened it. “Okay… but what am I going to do about a weapon? I didn’t have my gun on me when Ryan ran off with the weapons, so he got mine.”

Apple bit her lip before replying with, “You’ll have to use a hammer and the pipe he left.”

Calvin looked seriously annoyed, but didn’t protest against Apple. He held out his hand as he sighed, “Give ‘em to me.”

Erica tossed him her hammer and Apple pulled the pipe out of the bag and handed it to him. He sighed again before saying, “This is bullshit, you know.” He was looking into Apple’s blue eyes.