Chapter Six

I screamed loud enough for walkers from blocks away to hear. Apple whirled around to see me being dragged away by a walker as I tried to yank my gun from my waist band.

Her eyes grew wide and she raced toward me with blinding speed. I winced as she lifted her arm to swing down her weapon on the walker, scared she might hit me. But a second later the walker fell to the ground, meat cleaver in his head. I finally got my gun out of my waist band and turned to look at the walker who had grabbed me.

I gasped as I looked at a skinny walker with black hair and a trucker hat. It was Kenny.

“Let’s go!” Erica yelled as she and Calvin ran across the street. Apple grabbed my arm and urged me to run, and when I got over the shock of Kenny being a walker I charged after Erica and Calvin.

Walkers were coming from everywhere because of the noise now, and it seemed impossible to find somewhere safe to hide. Erica and Apple were taking care of any walkers coming to close as Calvin checked doors and windows on buildings. Most were locked and the ones that weren’t had walkers in them, so we were having a hard time finding shelter from the walkers. Calvin finally got into an old hardware store and we raced inside.

“Run around to check the place for any zombies,” Apple ordered Erica. Apple had blood all over the front of her sweater and some on her face from killing so many walkers with her meat cleaver. Erica had been using Calvin’s hammer to reduce noise and had a lot of blood splattered on her as well.

Erica ran to the back of the store, gun ready to fire at anything that jumped out. Calvin was running next to the walls, checking out the security of the windows as Apple was locking up the front door.

“Are you sure you should lock it yet? What if there are more of them in here,” I told her, my voice coming out scared. I hadn’t put my gun back yet just to be safe, but at the same time I didn’t think I would be shooting much at all. Apple and Erica seemed to have the killing part down.

“Even if there are zombies in this store,” Apple said, pushing heavy crates against the door with no help. I was amazed by her strength, and decided I should help. I began to push the crate as she continued her sentence. “There are more outside, and we don’t need them to come into a closed space.”

I agreed with Apple and we continued to push the crate against the door. Calvin race back and began to help push it and it was done within seconds. Apple gave him a smile as she took a quick breather before asking him, “Is the place safe?”

Calvin nodded and began to say something but was cut off by the sound of a gun shot coming from inside of the store.

“Oh my god don’t kill me!” we heard a voice say after the gun shot.

“Guys, get back here,” Erica yelled. We began to race back to where we heard the gun shot and Erica. I was behind both Calvin and Apple so I didn’t get to see anything right away.

“Who are you?” Apple demanded.

It was a male voice who replied, “My name is Ryan!”

I peeked from beside Calvin, hiding myself from Ryan. He was very tall but looked skinny and weak. He had messy brown hair and a dirty face with a few cuts and scars. His arms were up as if to say, “I’m innocent, don’t shoot!”

“Please,” he said. “don’t kill me.”

I pulled Calvin’s navy blue shirt and he looked down at me. “What?” he asked.

“This man was here first,” I told him in a soft, shy voice.

Calvin didn’t respond for a minute but then he nodded. “You’re right.”