Chapter One

I sat on the fallen tree next to the red rusty old car. I sadly looked at my surroundings, wondering what I was supposed to do.

What am I supposed to do?

Lee told me to find Christa and Omid. He told me I need to find them and they would take care of me--but I don't know where they are. And Lee also told me not to go too far--should I stay here and wait? But... he also said to keep moving.

I look up and see the gray sky. I look down and see dead grass. Open field. No shelter. No Christa and Omid. But no walkers, either.

Out of the corner of my eye I see bullets on the ground at my feet. I grab one and examine it for a minute. Is this usable? I have a gun, all I really need is ammo. Could this be the ammo I need? I... I--

I see something and look up. Two figures, too far away to make out are walking in the distance. Is that...?

I jump up to get a closer look. I wondered if I should call to them. If it was Christa and Omid, then I would have somebody to look after me. I would have done what Lee wanted me to do. But what if it wasn't Christa and Omid? What if it was someone like the bandits--or like Danny at the dairy? What if they hurt me? Or what if they were walkers? There wasn't anything for miles but field. If I turned around and ran back to the city--well, I already knew there wasn't anything but walkers there.

I had just decided not to and was going to hide when they spotted me. The two figures turned and started toward me.

Oh no! I thought, What do I do?!

I spun around in a full circle to check out my options. The rusty old car's doors were pulled off, so I couldn't climb in there for protection. If I tried to climb on top--no, not tall enough. They--if they are people or walkers--could reach me with ease. Car's out. I let out a whimper as I turned some more to find another option and my eyes landed on the tree behind me. Not the fallen one that I had been resting on, the large tree behind me that was definitely tall enough to climb and not be reached.

This was my only option. But there was another problem--it was really wide around and didn't have any branches a nine year old could reach, so I had to find a way to climb up there with my gun in time without the help of branches, and I couldn't just wrap my legs around the tree and shimmy my way up. It wouldn't work.

I looked back up at the two figures. They were still really far and moving kind of slow, so I had some time. I looked back down at the bullet I had grabbed earlier, only to realize it wasn't a bullet after all--it was a bullet casing. It had already been fired.

I let out a whinny groan and threw the bullet casing to the ground before sticking the gun in my leggings so I could start climbing the tree. I couldn't reach the branch no matter how much I jumped, so I finally grabbed a tire near the car and rolled it up against the three. I stepped on it the best I could, ready to jump from there and hopped I wouldn't fall. I looked behind me to see how close the figures were.

They were much closer--not close enough to see any characteristics, but close enough to see the way they were walking. Walkers.

My breathing got much heavier as I turned back toward the tree and made my final jump for the lowest branch. I grabbed it with one hand and the tire rolled away, no longer having my weight to support it. I began to slip but used my other hand to grab onto the branch and let out a quick breath.

I sucked in a breath almost immediately and began to pull myself up like a pull up in gym. My under developed muscles protested and my arms shook, but I told myself that it was this or get eaten. I had no choice.

I got high enough to hug the branch, hanging upside down. I wrapped my legs around the branch just as my hat started to get lose. I quickly tightened it with a hand and then placed my arm back around the branch to steady myself. After that I breathed for a minute, watching the figures move forward slowly. I was starting to hear the gargling noises they made. Definitely walkers.