Chapter 20

Today was training day for the boys.

Besides Seth, who was standing guard at the edge of La Push while watching through the mind pack link to learn how to fight the vampires. Paul had assured me that he wouldn't be fighting, he just needed to know what to do in case he had to fight and would most likely be guarding Bella where-ever she might be hiding from the fight.

Which that didn't make me worry less about the young boy, but it did reassure me a little bit that they weren't planning on putting the young wolves in the front lines.

Two more wolves had shifted, and younger than Seth at thirteen years old. It was sad to think that they had to change so early, though I knew they had no control over the shift. With how many vampires that were supposed to show up, it was inevitable that more wolves would shift.

I just wish that they didn't have to shift so young.

It was three in the afternoon and I had just been putting books on the shelf. Kim had been sent home early, considering we weren't really having an influx of costumers at that current moment, which happens from time to time. Besides we close at five, and what's sending the girl home two hours early - especially when she told me she had a test to study for the following day.

Putting away the final books, the bell above the door rang - indicating that someone was coming inside. "Just a minute!" I called from the back, stepping off the ladder. As I walked inside I dusted my clothing off, trying to look presentable. "What can I do for you.... today..." I trailed off with wide eyes when I saw who was standing there.

There in all her glory was Crystal, who was glancing around the building with faux intrigue on her face. "My, my so Riley wasn't lying. This place looks nice," she complimented in a condescending tone, making me narrow my eyes at her as she casted her blood-red eyes at me. She gave me a smirk, tilting her head to the side in acknowledgement.

"Why are you here?" I growled lowly, trying not to show the fear that I was feeling.

Laughing she saunters over to me, flipping her blond hair over her shoulders. "I heard your wolf pack was training with the Cullen's for the army that was coming down soon. Thought I'd pay you a little visit while your guard dogs are busy," she grins at me as I take a step back, though I knew I couldn't outrun her.

The attempt would be futile at best.

"You should already know by now that I don't want Riley," I tried to persuade her from whatever thoughts were running in her head. I knew that was the only reason why she was pissed off at me, because we had that one friend date that she thought was a real date.

Rolling her eyes, she plants her hands on her hips as she cocks the left hip to the side. "It's the principal of the matter, Elaine!" She spats, making me wince at the tone she was using.

"I'm engaged!" I tried again, showing her my ring, though she didn't seem interested in it. "Why would I want Riley if I was engaged to the man I wanted to marry, Crystal?" This was ridiculous, though I knew she wasn't going to back down from this. Why would she when she was already here, and had gotten past the three wolf pups that were supposed to be guarding the area?

Then again, so had Riley. However with Crystal in particular, she had some sort of power and I wasn't at all sure what that power was.

"You think that matters, girlie?" Crystal scoffs as she saunters over to me, and I took another step back until I hit the bookshelves behind me. "I'm going to make you regret the day you even looked at Riley." She promised, pausing when she heard a growl. She chuckled lowly. "Oh look, your little guard dogs are here!" She grins at me maliciously, turning around to see two wolves. A sand-brown wolf stood there with a growl on it's face, and I immediately recognized Seth's eyes. Behind him was a smaller gray wolf, who looked just as pissed off. "I'll make this snappy than." With that she lunged towards me, pushing me against the shelves and making me gasp when I felt a prickle and some blood flowing down my arm. Licking her lips she leans forward - only to be pushed off me by Seth who pins her to the ground.

I heard the mangled growls of wolves before I was pushed into complete darkness.