Chapter 5

In my dreams I dreamt of Riley killing me.

His teeth pierced my skin as I screamed in agony. Burning sensations reached my throat, and before I knew it... nothing. Pitch black darkness.

That was when I woke up.

Thankfully, I hadn't screamed. Not like Bella did when she got her nightmares. Though I had woken up, clutching my throat as if he was actually in my room... biting my neck and sucking out my blood.

I wondered if that was the nightmares she had been getting when the Cullen's were gone. If it were, it had been an awful experience, and I couldn't fathom why she would be with the very being that gave her those nightmares.

Sitting in the living room, I was watching some cartoons to help calm my nerves while sipping on some coffee. I jumped when I felt a hand on my shoulder, turning to see dad giving me a worried frown. "You alright, sweetheart?" He asked me softly, concern etched into his face. I wasn't usually up this early, and he knew that. Being up before dad was a crime.

Nodding my head I sighed as he sat down beside me, giving me his undivided attention. How could Bella even think of leaving him so easily? "Yeah, just a nightmare. Couldn't go back to sleep." I admitted reluctantly, shrugging. I couldn't tell him what the dream was about. He'd think I was crazy, and he had no clue about vampires and werewolves.

It had to stay that way.

Dad hummed, turning to look at the TV as Daffy Duck got shot in the face with a rifle. "Want to talk about it?" He asked, giving me a raised eyebrow look.

Pursing my lips, I shook my head. "I'll be okay. Promise," I told him sincerely, holding out my pinky for him. Smiling softly, he curls his pinky around mine before standing up. "There's coffee made if you want some," I told him and he nods, giving me a warm look.

"Thanks Laney," he kisses my head before walking into the kitchen and I sigh, turning to look at the TV again. Soon he joined me on the couch again and we were hanging out like old times, watching as Bugs Bunny continued to irate Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd.

Sometime between that I had fallen asleep, and dad left to go to work. That time I had no nightmare and was able to get a decent two more hours of sleep. It wasn't until Bella came down to go to school when I finally woke up to the sound of cabinets opening and closing, and then the door closing indicating that she had left for school.

Now I was sitting in Emily's living room, listening to Embry and Quil fight over something that happened today at school. I was nodding off, still tired from my lack of sleep when Jared suddenly plopped onto the couch beside me - making me jolt. "What's up with you, Lane? You've been out of it all day," he commented, giving me a worried look.

The entire house got quiet after that, looking over at me. I flushed at the attention, which usually wouldn't have gotten me so flustered if I wasn't exhausted. "It's nothing. I just didn't get enough sleep last night, don't worry about it." I promised them, flashing a smile. I didn't want to tell them about the mysterious visitor I had. Or the nightmare about said mysterious visitor.

I wanted to be sure about it before I said anything.

Jared raised an eyebrow, but didn't question it. "Paul's gonna be worried. You better wake up before he gets here." He warns me and I nod, knowing he was right. Paul was a worrier, that much was true. Especially when it came with anything pertaining me.

"You can take a nap in the guest room, sweetie," Emily called out to me, giving me a small smile. "I'll make sure that the boys stay quiet so that you can get enough sleep." She sends the wolves a look, who seem offended at even the notion they were loud.

Which they were. Very, very loud.

Waving my hand I stood up, stretching. "I'll be okay. Got any coffee?" I asked her, yawning again. I didn't want to sleep again in case I had that nightmare, and they didn't need to ask any questions about it.

Frowning Emily nodded. "I can make a pot. Anyone else want coffee?" She turned towards the boys, who all shook their heads. "I'll make half a pot then. Are you sure you don't want a nap?" She questions, and I shook my head. Sighing she nods. "Alright. If you insist."

Giving Emily a thankful smile I sat on the counter while the coffee was being made. It was a struggle, trying to keep my eyes open and not worrying the wolves, though they always blinked back open when I saw Riley's murderous face in my dreams. The blood on his face. His crimson red eyes.

I gasped when I felt a hand on my shoulder, and Embry frowned. "Alright, jumpy, what's going on?" He demanded as everyone turned towards me.

Wincing, I sighed. "I didn't want to tell you until I was sure..." I trailed off in defeat, pinching the bridge of my nose. "I woke up early this morning because of a nightmare, so I stayed up the rest of the morning."

"You didn't want to tell us what, Elaine?" Emily questions softly and I winced again, hoping no one would catch that.

"I... I think I'm being stalked..." I admitted reluctantly, making the wolves in the house bristle at the admission. "I've only seen him twice, and every time it's almost like he was never there to begin with. Last night though I saw him watching the house, and I called out to him. He waved at me." I bit my lip anxiously.

Should I add onto the fact that I didn't think he was human?

I didn't even want to tell them that much, but I knew they would be worried anyway with how I was acting. This wasn't like me, and they knew that.

"You think you're being stalked?" Quil questions lightly, sitting up straighter on the stool he was sitting on. "You're not sure?" He adds and now I have everyone's attention on me, wanting to know where my head space was at.

"It's just the feeling I have," I nodded, sighing. "I won't know for sure until I ask dad something." I won't know for sure if I ask dad if there was a missing persons report. That would be the confirmation that I needed in order to say that I was right.

That Riley Biers was now, in fact, a vampire.

"Ask your dad what, exactly?" Embry frowns as he shares a look with the others. They didn't seem to necessarily believe me, but they weren't saying that I was lying right off the bat either. That made me feel a whole lot better that they were giving me the benefit of the doubt. They knew I would never say I was being stalked unless I actually was being stalked, or at least thought that I was. It wasn't my style to worry people needlessly.

I wasn't Bella.

"If there's any missing persons reports," I state quietly, almost too quietly for them to hear but they did with their super hearing. They all grimaced, sharing a look with each other. They were all probably thinking the same thing that I was.

Vampire.