Chapter 12

"The number you have reached is unavailable..." Cursing, I tossed the phone onto my bed in aggravation. I had been trying to get a hold of Riley since he called me the day after our engagement party, though I hadn't been successful.

I tried a few times to make sure it hadn't been a fluke, though I now knew it wasn't. Why would he call me if he hadn't wanted to talk to me in the first place?

With a sigh, I decided just to ignore it for now. If he needed help in any sort of way I'd try to provide it the best that I could. I didn't know how I would be able to help if he was a vampire like we all thought, but I was sure I could figure out some possible way to help him out. I had considered him a friend when he was human, and I would consider him a friend if he was a vampire.

The wolves would just have to deal with that fact when the time came.

Both Paul and Leah were out on patrol today, and Destiny was at work so I was left to my own devices.

Finishing up my work for the day, I grabbed my bag and keys. Knowing we were running out of groceries, and with Bella and dad both out for the day, I decided to just grab them. With my usual suspects to hang out with busy I had nothing else to really do. I could go over to Sam and Emily's, but I knew that Sam had planned a date for them today since he was off. While I wasn't sure what Kim was doing, I was sure that Jared had planned something for the two of them today.

There was no way I was going to ask Jake to hang out and hear him complain about Bella the entire time, I was sure Embry and Quil had that covered.

That's what found me driving towards the small grocery store in Forks, Washington. Really, our only grocery store that had anything that was worth much. Parking beside a black BMW, which felt oddly out of place with tinted black windows, I grabbed my list. We only needed the necessities, though I also wanted to top off food that we eat often around the house.

Walking through the aisles, I started to collect some groceries within the cart. "That's an awful lot for one measly human," a voice piped up, making me freeze. Looking up from where I was looking at the cereals, a platinum blond stood there with a smirk on her face, her eyes were a bloodshot red. "Though I wouldn't expect anything less from you," she snarked and I knew this woman wasn't human.

"Crystal?" I breathed out, fear etching onto my voice.

"Wow, surprised you even remembered my name," she applauds, actually clapping her hands sarcastically and making me roll my eyes as she saunters over to me. "I'm supposed to be out here on patrol for Victoria, but I saw your car parked in the parking lot. Thought I'd pay you a much needed visit." She curls her lips in disgust as she looks at me.

"You're with Victoria now?" I asked her, though I should have figured she was. Anyone this close to home was probably with her at this rate.

Crystal smirks. "Of course. She sends her regards, by the way," she mentions half-handedly and I roll my eyes. "I also wanted to tell you to stay away from Riley. He's mine." She snarls at me venomously, making me blink in surprise.

"What makes you think I want anything to do with Riley?" I challenged her, knowing that was probably a bad idea. We were in public though, so it wasn't like the bitch would try anything here... right?

"He's obsessed with you, ya know?" She continues, ignoring what I said as she circles me like a predator. "You're all he talks about. How do you think Elaine is now? Is she safe? Crystal, you're not allowed to harm her!" She sings, spitting at me in disgust. "I had to break his phone so he wouldn't call you again." Widening my eyes, that answered why I couldn't get a hold of him.

"Aren't you being a little... obsessive?" How was no one noticing us? It was almost like she was intentionally keeping people away from this aisle and making sure that no one could hear what was being said.

"He's my mate!" She snaps at me furiously, in a blur she was next to me. "He will never be yours!" She hisses into my ear, her fangs dangerously close to my neck.

"That's enough!" A authoritive voice reverberates through the aisle. Crystal leans away, eyes wide as she sees who's behind me. Clearing my throat, I glance behind me as well to see Alice and Rosalie standing there, both with murderous looks on their faces.

Crystal nervously laughs. "Oh, seems like my times up!" She sings, glancing over at me once before disappearing - making me breathe out a breath I hadn't known I took.

Even though the Cullen girls saved my life, there was a bout of awkwardness in the air. "Alice, can you give me and Elaine some time to talk?" Rosalie glances over at her sister figure, who seemed to be in a daze.

"Okay! I'm glad you're safe, Elaine," Alice tells me, flashing me a thousand-watt smile before walking towards the exit.

Frowning, I glanced down at the groceries in my cart, realizing I wasn't even done shopping. "Do you care to walk and talk? I need to get some more before heading back," I gave her a timid smile, relaxing when she nods. The air was still tense as I shopped for the things I needed, glancing over to Rosalie from time to time. "So..." I trailed off awkwardly, cringing inwardly to myself.

"You probably already know, but I'm Rosalie Hale," she introduces awkwardly, "I'm, ah, one of Edward's adopted siblings." She elaborates and I nodded my head, already have known that. This wasn't our first time meeting, though it was our first time talking one on one. "Is there anyway you can talk Bella out of becoming one of us?" She asks softly and a lightbulb suddenly appeared in my head.

"That seems to be the mantra I hear..." I chuckle to myself as I pulled down a box of Saltine crackers. "Rosalie, while I do not want Bella to become one of you, she has her heart set on it. She wants to be with Edward, and I have to respect that. I think you should respect what she wants as well and stop projecting your want to be human."

The blonds eyes widen in surprise at my rebuttal as she purses her lips in thought. "Maybe you're right..." Rosalie murmurs, "but I'm going to try and change her mind." She seemed determined, which made me chuckle.

"Good luck with that, Rosalie." I was genuine with that. I knew that Bella would never change her mind on this, especially if Edward was involved. "If you need to get ahold of me I am sure you can get it through Bella, or Alice probably somehow has it..." I trailed off with a chuckle.

Rosalie gives me a dazzling smile, nodding her head. "Sure, I'll take you up on that offer." She gives me one last look before leaving me in the aisle.

Breathing a sigh of relief, I counted my lucky stars that I was even still alive. I knew it was because Alice saw the confrontation with Crystal, and suddenly I was thankful for that for once.

Who knows what would have happened otherwise.