Chapter 18

Alanis POV

When we pulled into the driveway at Poppy and Liam's house I was shocked to see dad's car in the driveway. I am sure no one told me he was coming home this weekend, so it was a great surprise. I told Poppy and Liam I had to leave RIGHT away but I will be ready in a bit to go to Lou and Harry's house for the painting extravaganza that we planned.

I grab my bags of Halloween goodies out of the back of Liam's trunk before running over to my house, bounding up the stairs in the front in one big step practically. I throw open the door startling Domino and mom. She was currently in the kitchen putting away what looked like a lasagna that she was wrapping up to stuff in the freezer.

"Where is he?!" I shout while dropping my bags near the entrance and scurrying into another room to try to find the answer myself. Domino was not following me solely because he wanted to sniff out the new goods in the bags to make sure they weren't anything new and cool for him.

Dad was sitting in the living room in one of the chairs with his legs out-stretched, watching some guy on the television talk about a recent sports game that ended in overtime. "Hey kiddo, how was shopping with your friends?" He smiles at me when our eyes meet.

Dad's been in the military my whole life, so we have moved quite a bit, but he was gone most of my childhood, and that was the worst part. I am not super besties with my dad, but I am more of a daddy's girl than a mommy's girl for sure.

Dad has always been the stricter of the two, but I think it's just that military personality always coming out. Even his dad was in the military and it went back a few generations I guess. When dad would come home he usually would spend some time with me teaching me random cool new skills and always making sure to leave me with great memories till I would see him again.

I always was in a bit of a shadow with my big brother and I think dad also related to that. My brother, Levi, was a bit older and my parents were obsessed with him, because he was the perfect all-American boy. However, when he left for college I think dad realized more just how much that really did a number on me and our relationship got stronger than ever. Dad had his own sibling issues, because he was the oldest and the one who was supposed to always be the shining example for his little sister. Dad was Levi I guess.

Except, in dad's case things didn't work out as well. Aunt Betty died a few years back of breast cancer and it really made dad take a more serious role in raising us kids. Sometimes a little too serious even.

"It was super fun. We bought Halloween costumes. It was fun because it was like one of those movie montages you know. Like we were all sitting around in these plush chairs or on the floor of the stores while one or two people would go on and put on a little fashion show for us. It honestly ended in more laughing and making fun of each other more than anything. But wait, hi, hello, you are home? How long are you here for?" I was talking a mile a minute and I just couldn't hold it in because seeing dad is fun, but unexpected dad visits are the best.

"I heard you and mom finished unpacking the house and I just had to see. Your room is already a trash pit Alanis Felicity." He eyes me a disapproving look but winks at the end because he never cared about that kind of stuff, and that's just what triggers mom. Dad cares more about 'no talking to boys, no drinking, no drugs, and definitely no boys!!!!'

Mom takes the bait though, "Michael, do not get me started. I warned him three times in the past week about that mess pit she calls a bedroom. You can hardly see the floors some days."

My dad brings a hand up to rest on his chest and feigns shock, "oh no Carol, not the flooring? She's a menace to society. What are we going to do with her? We might as well send her off to the barracks. Treason! Jail time! Grab the cuffs and throw her away for all of time!" He lets out a small groan of defeat.