1.

CHAPTER 1

I had just finished three consecutive classes and needed a break.What sounds better than a nice cup of Coffee and a nice view from your high-rise apartment's terrace on a cold and breezy Autumn evening. Life in Bangalore has been quite a lump but one I'd love to deal with than back in Delhi.

You see, Indian parents have high expectations from their children with constant nagging to be better than Sharma ji's beta who seems to be a Perfectionist. Luckily my parents were not the typical types. Well, I'm glad my parents gave me a better and rather modern upbringing than the rest of my friends. I can't wait for our school friends' reunion in a few months. Except for the fact that I am pretty sure I won't be delighted to meet our school's most hated girl - Priya Kapoor.
The mere thought of her brings back memories of relentless teasing, gossip, and the constant feeling of being judged. Priya, with her perfectly styled hair and a perpetual air of superiority, made high school life challenging for many, myself included.As I sipped on my hot coffee, I couldn't help but wonder how she might have changed over the years. Would she still carry that arrogance, or had life taught her some humility? She always was a bully and I really hope she is doing better things in life at this point than sitting around and scrutinising details about my last year's birthday fiasco.

It was only around 6pm but the skies of Bangalore made it feel like twilight with a pitch black stage for the tiny spots to sparkle and shine. Just as I found myself lost at thinking about my high school rival, I noticed a black shadowy figure approaching the end of the steps towards the terrace. The dim lights on the deck were just enough for me to make out the shadow . Being a timidly shy person, all I wanted after an overwrought day was to enjoy the cityscapes with some freshly brewed filterkapi. But I guess I'll have some company tonight.

The door slams shut again and footsteps move swiftly across the deck. I don't even bother looking up. Whoever it is more than likely won't even notice me back here straddling the ledge to the left of the door. They came out here in such a hurry, it isn't my fault if they assume they're alone.

I sigh quietly, close my eyes and lean my head against the stucco wall behind me, cursing the universe for ripping this peaceful, introspective moment out from under me. The least the universe could do for me today is ensure that it's a woman and not a man. If I'm going to have company, I'd rather it be a female.I'm too comfortable right now to be on a rooftop alone with a strange man in the middle of the night. I might fear for my safety and feel the need to leave, and I really don't want to leave. As I said before . . . I'm comfortable.

I finally allow my eyes to make the journey to the silhouette leaning over the ledge. As luck would have it, he's definitely male.As I stare at the figure, my heart skips a beat. The dim light from the deck barely illuminates his features, but there's something about him that feels familiar. I can't quite place it, but there's an air of mystery surrounding him.

He senses my gaze and turns towards me, his eyes meeting mine. At that moment, time seemed to stand still. His deep, piercing eyes hold a thousand stories, and I can't help but feel drawn to them.

"Hey," he says, breaking the silence. His voice is smooth and calming, like a gentle autumn breeze. "Mind if I join you?"

I hesitate for a moment, caught between my desire for solitude and the intrigue I feel toward this stranger. Eventually, I nod, welcoming him to share the space beside me.

He walks over and takes a seat, his presence casting a comforting warmth over the cool evening air. We sit in silence for a while, savoring the view before us. The city lights twinkle in the distance, creating a mesmerizing sight.

Curiosity gets the better of me, and I finally find the courage to speak. "So, what brings you up here on this beautiful evening?"

He pauses, as if contemplating his response. "Just needed a moment of peace, away from the chaos. This view helps me find solace."

A pang of uneasiness tugs at my heart. I can relate to his words, to the longing for tranquility amidst the chaos of everyday life. It's as if we share a similar longing for escape.

"I know how you feel," I admit softly. "Sometimes, it's hard to find that peace."

He smiles, and it lights up his face, revealing a genuine warmth. "Indeed. But it's moments like these that make it all worthwhile."

Just as I enjoyed this beautiful moment , I felt something buzz in my back pocket. It was Appa facetiming me. And at that moment I knew I was in for a great lecture because it had been 3 hours since I was up on the terrace. I had 7 unread texts from Amma and Appa was facetiming me .