Don't Call Me That

10

── ── ── ──
"All the pain I should have saved
Oh, I was too afraid of livin'
life in your footsteps"
── ── ── ──

"Chris wants you," Jo says as she walks out of Chris's room and into the kitchen to help clean up with her father who is now walking out and to his son's room.

He's in there for about 10 minutes before he walks out with a sad, but dedicated look on his face. He walks back into the kitchen and starts on the dishes, while Jo wipes off the counter.

Eddie can feel Josie's eyes bouncing on and off of the back and side of his head. He knows what she wants, but he's not gonna give it.

"Stop" Eddie says sternly making Jo stop her actions and lean on the bar with her palms holding up her chin and her elbows pressing into the granite.

"I wasn't doing anything."

The grin in her voice causes him to spin around, cross his arms on his chest, and lean against the counter. "I can feel your eyes on me."

"No, you can't."

Eddie rolls his eyes and goes to turn around but Jo stops him.

"So..."

He goes back to leaning against the counter and staring at the girl.

"Who is she? He? They? I don't judge." She throws her palms out from underneath her chin and waves them around.

Eddie scoffs at the girl but a small smile plays on his face. "It doesn't matter who she is."

Jo smiles and then stands up and walks around the counter to stand closer to him. "Dad you hit a home run, let's celebrate. Get together, and drink some wine, 'cause you were obviously too busy to do it before."

Eddie's eyes widen as he shakes his head. "I worry about our relationship sometimes."

Josie ignores her father as she giddily smiles. "Relax Dad, I'm happy for you, and I'm glad you're moving on from her, and finding a life for yourself."

Eddie's stomach twists as she says those words. It twists enough to make him turn back around and continue working on the dishes mindlessly.

Jo throws the rag next to the sink and goes to walk to her room but turns around one last time. "If you tell me who she is, I'll tell you what Chris wants for Christmas."

Eddie bites his lips and looks at Jo nervously. "He told me what he wants."

"What is it?"

He looks back to the dishes with a sigh escaping his lips. "He asked Santa to find Mom."

Jo's lips curl down into a small frown, but she plays her sadness off with a wave of the hand. "Can't he ask for something we all want?"

Eddie watches as Jo walks into her room and shuts the door.

Leaving Eddie in hot water, that is about to boil over.

—————————

The next few days leading up to Christmas were weird for the Diaz family. Eddie was visibly pulling away from Jo, but sticking to Chris, he would sneak away to take random phone calls, or he would send them to Buck or Tia's house quickly.

It was making Jo quite angry, cause just when she would get in a good spot at home; her father would knock on the door and usher them out.

Just like he was trying to do now.