A Good Welcoming

1

── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──
"In this world, it's just us.
You know it's not the same as it was."
── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──

Eddie just finished his first official day as a firefighter at the 118, and despite the one main problem of Evan Buckley, it was fairly good. He managed to save a life and a cat from a tree.

Equally amazing

So now it was time to get home, cook dinner, and go to bed.

Oh, and take care of his two kids.

Christopher is the youngest of the two. He has CP, he's 7 years old, and the cutest thing to ever exist.

Josephine, Jo, named after her great aunt, is the oldest of the two, she is 14, although you wouldn't be able to tell because she is so mature. And like every teenager, she's a big backtalker.

They're both good kids, Eddie couldn't ask for better ones. He did wish he had them a little later in life, instead of having Jo at 17, and Chris at 24. But regardless he still loves them.

And he's all they got.

"Chris, you just told me you wanted Dino nuggets for dinner, and now all of a sudden you don't like them. I don't understand." Jo whines to her baby brother who has taken only about 1 bite of dinner since she made it twenty minutes ago.

Chris pushes around the food and looks over to Jo. "I want to wait for Dad to get home to eat, and tell him about my first day of school." Technically it wasn't either of their first days of school for the school year. It was just the first day at a new school, which Jo was not very happy about.

Jo groans but nods to his brother. She picks up his plate but right when she does her father walks in the door.

"Perfect timing." She mutters as she sets the plate back down and takes a deep breath out of her nose. Chris is quick to position his crutches and walk over to his father who is hanging up the keys and setting his bag on the bar.

Chris hugs his legs while Eddie pats the back of his head. Josie joins in with a small side hug but pulls away almost immediately. Jo isn't the biggest in touch. She never has been. Maybe it was the lack of, growing up, but never has she liked it.

Once everyone got settled with their Dino nuggets, even Eddie. They all sat down at the table talking about their day.

"So how was the first day of work as a probationary firefighter?" Jo asks as she sticks nuggets into her mouth.

Eddie rolls his eyes, but a smile sits on his lips. "You don't have to say probationary every time, Joey. But anyway, it was alright, I saved a human life and an animal life. Which both are good for the soul." Eddie finishes but Jo can still see that he's a little bothered.

"That's it?" She asks, making him look at her and shrug.

"Yeah."

"Liar." Jo mumbles, making Eddie snort softly.

"Just this guy, who is very territorial."

Josie narrows her eyes at him in confusion. "Over the firehouse or the team?"

Eddie sticks the top of Dino's head into his mouth and shrugs. "Who knows, I just won't talk to him unless I have to.

Josie's eyes tighten in confusion, and Eddie can see that she's about to say something else so he interrupts her. "Enough about me, how was your first day at school."