the day before

The enclosure gets no visitors that day.  The arena explosion- revealed to be a rebel plot of some kind- had scared most of the capitol citizens into their homes for the remainder of the day.  Sylvia likes it because it means no pampered citizens stare at her like she's some fascinating creature.  

  The only few people to show up are some of the mentors.  Sylvia watches as a few of them call their tributes over, asking them questions and looking them over while handing some variety of food or water through the bars.  

  Watching from against a rock at the back of the enclosure, Sylvia fiddles with her rings.  Her legs are stretched out in front of her, one crossed over the other as she taps her heel against the ground absentmindedly, swaying the toe of her boot back and forth.  

  Lamina's gaze- previously set on the ground- is now set on Sylvia's boots.  She has that glazed over look again.  Not the one that signals she's about to cry, but the one that means she's deep in thought.  The looks are similar, but it's easy for Sylvia to tell the difference when she spends so much time paying attention to the little details of Lamina's face.  

  "What are we gonna do tomorrow?"  Lamina asks, voice low.  The enclosure is relatively silent, save for the hushed chatter of the couple mentors and tributes scattered around, as well as Dill's coughing.  Her heart breaks a little every time she hears the noise.  

  Looking back to Lamina, Sylvia leans her head on the rock behind her.  "The bell's gonna ring, and I'm gonna find you."  The answer is immediate, and really the only concrete plan that Sylvia has so far.  "I don't think we should get a weapon right away.  It's gonna be a fuckin' bloodbath in the middle for the first few minutes or so.  We should run and hide somewhere nearby... wait until the coast is clear, and then try for a weapon."  

  Lamina nods.  "When the bombs went off, I saw some tunnels or something.  They were underneath the floor.  I think the explosions opened them." 

  That catches Sylvia's attention easily.  She had been so focused on getting Lamina and Mizzen out of there that she hadn't even considered the fact that the layout of the arena might've changed.  She sits up fully, turning her body to face Lamina, eyebrows furrowed.  "Really?"  She asks. 

  Lamina's nodding her head, mimicking Sylvia's move as she sits up.  "Yeah, they-"

  "Sylvia!" 

  The call of her name interrupts their conversation.  Like magic, Sylvia feels a headache coming on and groans.  She doesn't even have to look to know who it is.  "Motherfucker..."  She mutters, rolling her eyes.  Lamina's eyebrows furrow, and she leans forward to see past Sylvia.  

  "Isn't that your mentor?"  Lamina asks lowly, leaning back agains the rock and focusing back on Sylvia.  The expression on Lamina's face turns annoyed, and maybe even a little angry.  Her eyes narrow and her lips form a thin line.  Sylvia's not sure what the cause of it is.    

  "Unfortunately, yes."  She answers.  Groaning, she stands up and dusts off her skirt.  "I'll be right back."  She promises before turning and walking to the bars of the enclosure where Florus Friend waits.

  His usual grin takes place on his face, easy-going and supposedly charming.  It does nothing but piss Sylvia off and annoy her.  

  She doesn't say anything as she stops on the other side of the bars.  Leveling her eyes to him, she waits for him to speak as she adopts a neutral expression.  

  "I brought you some things so you'll have enough energy for tomorrow."  Are his first words.  He opens his satchel and pulls out three bottles of water and two wrapped sandwiches.  "If you can, maybe try and hide some of them in your skirt or something to bring into the arena."  He suggests, even though Sylvia knows she won't.  As soon as she had seen the food and water she knew what she was going to do with it.