the capitol

The train pulls in to its last stop early the next morning, screeching to a halt and jostling them all out of whatever little sleep they managed to get.  Sylvia's hand- still held in Lamina's, not having moved since yesterday- reaches up to wipe her eyes.  Her fingers slip out of Lamina's, and though she misses the touch- not that she would ever say that- she knows they'll probably be separated anyway.  Or maybe they won't. Sylvia's not quite sure what will happen after this point. 

  Returning her hat to its former place on her head, she stands up from her spot, pushing off her knees and stretching her back.  There's a clattering outside, the sound of yelled orders, and then a click as the lock on the outside of the car is turned.  Then, bright sunlight floods into the small compartment, making her cringe and raise a hand.  How long had it been since she'd seen the sun without it being filtered through the cattle car?  She can't really remember.  

  And then one of the peacekeepers is yelling, ushering them out of the car.  Turning, she makes sure the others stand up- Tanner, then Lamina, then Treech and the rest- before she follows some of the other pairs out of the car, Tanner by her side.  

  He jumps out of the car first and onto the platform below, bending his knees as he lands.  Immediately, he turns and holds a hand out for Sylvia, which she accepts as she hops out of the car and lands beside him.  Pausing for a moment, she takes a look around.  

  If she hadn't known they were in the capitol, she most certainly could've guessed.  The platform is clean, nearly spotless.  She catches a glimpse of the tops of some buildings, all with fancy exteriors and clean windows.  Even the smell is significantly nice- flowers and herbs and something else she can't quite place.  

  A peacekeeper dragging more of the tributes out of the other cattle car snaps her out of it.  She watches him warily as the other 12 tributes emerge from the car.  Then she turns back to her own car as Lamina emerges from the interior.  Reaching up, she motions to Lamina, not saying a word.  

 The red head leans down, grabbing onto Sylvia's shoulders, and in turn Sylvia grips her waist, placing her down gently on the floor.  The sound of the peacekeepers yelling continues to fill the air, and Sylvia stands there with the rest of the tributes for a moment, unsure of what to do.  

  And then someone else catches her eyes.  Not a peacekeeper, not a tribute.  Someone else entirely.  A boy no older than her in a blood red uniform, carrying a leather satchel over his shoulder.  In his hand, a single white rose.  Her eyebrows furrow at the sight of him.  A capitol boy.  What the hell was he doing here? 

  Sylvia turns, nudging Tanner with her elbow and subsequently gaining the attention of Treech, Lamina, Coral, and Mizzen, who all stand nearby.  She nods to the boy, diverting their attention to him.  Either he's oblivious or he's intentionally ignoring them in favor of looking for someone- or something- else.  

  She doesn't have time to find out what it is before a peacekeeper is suddenly grabbing her by the arm and yanking her forward.  Nearly stumbling, she manages to catch herself before that happens and holds back the reflex to grab the peacekeeper by his wrist and break it.  That would only result in more trouble.  But she can't say the feeling of him tightly gripping her arm is pleasant, and she grits her teeth instead of lashing out.  

  Tanner, though, doesn't hold his tongue as the rest of the tributes are also ushered in the direction she's being brought.  

  "Hey! Don't grab her like that!" Her district partner yells.  When she turns around she sees him stomping forward, and by the look in his eyes she can tell he's about to do something that won't end well.  

  She's just about to wave him off when the peacekeeper loosens his grip, letting go but not lowering his hand.  She rips her arm away from him as another set of peacekeepers keep them moving forward towards a small alleyway off the tracks where a truck sits, the back of it open.  Inside are two benches against either wall, and not much else.  Half the tributes are already in there, and she moves to stand next to Tanner as the rest of them are ushered in to join them.