the mentors

At some point or another, some of the capitol students show up, the ones who are supposed to be their mentors. Sylvia is telling Mizzen about the coyote packs that live out in the desert when she hears an unfamiliar voice calling her name.

  Looking away from Mizzen, she switches her gaze to the bars, eyes flickering over faces until she finds one person already looking at her. He's one of the capitol boys, wearing that same irritating blood red uniform. As soon as she locks eyes with him, he waves her over.

  Sighing deeply, she turns back to Mizzen. "I'll take to you later, yeah?" She stands, and he follows her motion, moving back next to Coral. Sylvia smirks and reaches forward, ruffling his hair playfully, then nodding and smiling to Coral before she turns back around. She puts on a neutral expression as she approaches the bars... not that it's hard. She's not exactly thrilled to be talking to this kid.

  "Sylvia Thornton?" He asks, as if he needs the clarification.  He throws her a smirk that she thinks he assumes has more of an impact than it does.  Sylvia crosses her arms, nodding as she stops across from him. "I'm Florus Friend, I'm your-"

  "Mentor. Yeah, I got the memo." She interrupts, eyes narrowing. She shifts her weight, hands clenching against her arms as she tries her best to hold her tongue. Raising her eyebrow, she gives him a face as if to ask what he wants.

  Florus Friend clearly doesn't do well under pressure. Or maybe he's not used to his capitol boy charm failing. Either way, he suddenly looks flustered, a bright red blush forming on his cheeks. "I, uh..." He trails off, looking pointedly away from her as he ruffles through his satchel. He pulls out a water bottle and a wrapped sandwich. His hands shake when he sticks the two items through the bars.

  Watching him carefully, she gazes at the things he offers her.  When she sees the water she suddenly becomes aware of how thirsty she is.  There's only a few moments of hesitance before she reaches out and takes the two items from him.  She tucks the sandwich into the pocket of her skirt, but uncaps the water bottle and takes a sip.  She revels in the feeling of it for a moment, and then she caps it again and looks back to him.  

  "So..."  He hesitates again, the blush on his face becoming more prominent as they lock eyes and she raises an eyebrow at him.  "You're uhh... you're a hunter?"  

  Nodding once, she says, "Yeah.  Back in ten."  She sees the way his eyes light up and internally groans. 

  "So you've been trained to kill?"  He rushes out, a smile blooming on his face.  The combination of the words and his smile makes her disgusted with him, but she bites her tongue.  

  "Yes." Is all she says, choosing not to mention the fact that she doesn't plan on killing anyone.  He looks up at her, and his silence tells her that he's hoping she'll say more, but she doesn't.  

  Sighing, he looks back to the ground.  She can practically see him scrambling in his brain for something to say.  "Uh... do you have anyone, like a... boyfriend... waiting for you back in district ten?"  Is what comes out of his mouth. 

  What the fuck kind of a question is that?  Out of everything he could've said, that's what he chooses to ask her?  She chooses to keep quiet about the fact she'd literally rather get trampled by a horse and tossed off the side of a cliff into the canyon than ever let a man kiss her. 

  Her eyes narrow again, arms coming up to cross over her chest.  "No." 

  He opens his mouth to say something, then seems to think better of it.  All he does is nod, then jabs a thumb behind him.  "Well, uh... I'll see you later.  I've gotta... go do homework."  He says, as if she cares.  She finds herself more disgusted with him.  Here she was with the other tributes, waiting to be thrown into the arena and worrying about their deaths, while he was worrying about a fucking homework assignment.