the arena

In the short time she's been in the capitol, Sylvia's quickly come to realize that she does not like being in the back of a transport truck.  Between the fact that they're shoved together like sardines, and the fact that there's little light, and they're constantly being jostled around in the space, she's quickly grown to hate it. 

  However, she hates it just a little bit less when Lamina is there.  Which she has been for the majority of the time.  Actually, come to think of it, Sylvia's never not sat next to Lamina. 

  Funny how that works out. 

  Like now, Lamina's hand is in Sylvia's, their fingers interlocked as Lamina squeezes her palm.  The interviews with their mentors had not gone well with most of the tributes, but Sylvia thinks it went especially bad for Lamina.  Other than her mentor being somewhat of an asshole who only cares about himself (most of the mentors), he hadn't even bothered to come visit Lamina in the enclosure.  That fact didn't bother Lamina, but it bothered Sylvia.  

  So she holds Lamina's hand in the back of the transport truck, fighting the urge to reach up and wipe away Lamina's tears.  It's an easy urge to fight, especially while she's distracted with thoughts of her own mentor.  

  Tanner seems to notice this.  The angry look on her face and the glare she has aimed at the floor probably give it away.  It could also be the fact that Tanner was at the table next to her. 

  "Your mentor any good?  I know you didn't answer many of his questions."  Tanner asks, kicking her leg slightly with the toe of his booth to get her attention.  The action is innocent, a way to annoy her and amuse her at the same time while also getting her attention.  Mizzen sits on her other side, watching the interaction curiously.    

  Sylvia looks up and scoffs.  "He's a fuckin' imbecile, is what he is." She spits out, eyes narrowing.  "He wants me to show the audience my brand during the interviews."  When she says it, she feels Lamina's hand squeeze hers.  

  She watches her district partner's eyebrows raise, his good eye widening slightly.  "Oh."  He says.  He sounds surprised.  "Is that... his only plan?"  Now Tanner sounds annoyed with Florus Friend, and the fact makes her smirk a little bit.  

  Sylvia rolls her eyes, leaning back against the wall and crossing one leg over another.  "Says he wants to get the audience to like me- get more sponsors.  Wants to use my looks to do it."  She scoffs, rolling her eyes.  "Apparently some of his little friends have a crush on me or somethin'."  

  From the other side of Mizzen, Coral lets out an amused chuckle.  Sylvia turns her head to look at the other girl and sees a smirk on her face.  "He sounds like an asshole."  Coral comments, leaning forward to rest her elbows on her knees.

  Nodding, Sylvia scoffs slightly and rolls her eyes.  Even the mention of her mentor is starting to give her a headache.  "He is.  Has no use whatsoever- one at all."  She feels herself squeezing Lamina's hand slightly as she speaks, looking for the sense of comfort the other girl's grip brings.   

  Glancing to Lamina, Sylvia sees her eyebrows are furrowed slightly, glancing over Sylvia with an expression she can't quite place.  She seems to sense her anger and annoyance- to some degree, at least.  Her thumb moves to run over Sylvia's knuckles, and then her head falls onto Sylvia's shoulder.    

  The simple contact makes her feel better.  The pain in her head seems to fade and the tension in her shoulders miraculously disappears.  Weird.  

  A small smile appears on her lips as she drops her head, letting her cheek rest on top of Lamina's head for a few moments.  She revels in the feeling of Lamina's hand in hers, their fingers interlocked.  She can feel Lamina's thumb brushing over her knuckles still, but when she looks down she also sees Lamina fiddling with one of the many rings that adorn Sylvia's hands.  She never understood what could be so special about physical touch- most of the touch in her life consisted of fights and training- but she's beginning to understand now.  She'd do a lot just to feel Lamina's hand in her own.