Mush Myers

The newsies gathered in eager anticipation,buzzing with excitement as Kloppman revealed his new pairing method.The man had decided all the kids living under his roof would have to get along,so he'd came up with a perfect plan.He picked two newsies at random for each pair.They'd have to sell,do chores and share a bunk together.

The atmosphere held a feeling of curiosity and excitement as the sheet was pinned to the bedroom door.The newsies pushed and shoved,wanting to see their new partner.Y/n L/n found herself hanging behind,arms crossed.The girl wasn't worried about having a partner,as she got along with most newsies nicely.Yet,in the back of her mind,she hoped she wouldn't be paired with one certain boy.Anyone but him.As fate would have it,she heard a loud 'Yes!' coming from the top of the group,coming from the one and only,Mush Myers.Y/n bit her tongue and knew this could only mean one thing.

"Hey good looking.Wanna guess who your new partner is,huh?"Y/n's close friend,Skittery,teased from beside her.The newsie nudged his friend with a lopsided grin on his face.The girl only raised a brow,pulling his cap over his face.Skittery laughed loudly,walking away from his friend with a wink.Y/n stayed in her spot,arms crossed and an annoyed expression on her face.

As the newsies walked towards their bunks,ready to move their belongings,Mush slowly walked towards her."Hey pretty girl"He grinned,lifting on arm over his head to lean on a bunk bed,the other on his hip.Y/n let out a breath,resisting the urge to roll her eyes."Hi."

"Looks like we-"Mush took a step closer,"are partners.Yay."He smiled,looking down at the girl.Y/n shook her head,turning to collect her belongings from her old bed.

"I call bottom bunk."She replied,not looking back to see his smug smirk.

The next day,Y/n had the pleasure of not having to see Mush til they had to sell.The boy attempted to make small talk multiple times,eventually giving up with a groan."Man,come on!"He raised his voice in a pleading manner,following after the girl."Y'know,you're not as badass as you think you are,Y/n!"

Y/n stopped walking and turned to the boy.The sudden turn caused Mush to almost bang into her body,but he stopped just before he could."Yeah?Well you're not as funny as you think you are.Just shut up."She gave him a glare before turning to walk again.

"Looks like someone's got her panties in a twist."Mush bounced back,catching up to Y/n,as he'd been running after her all morning.

"Don't for one minute think you had any effect whatsoever on my panties."She scoffed.Mush smirked from beside her."Than what did I have an effect on?"He flirted.

"Other than my upchuck reflex?Nothing."Y/n said,coming to a halt as the pair got to their selling spot.Mush simply smiled at the girl and dropped his papes at his feet,dropping hers beside them.Although she'd refused,Mush took it upon himself to carry her papes incase they got too heavy.

"This pairing thing is stupid."Y/n muttered,shaking her head."Well,we are gonna have to get along eventually."He huffed.

"Extra! Extra! Baby born with three heads!"The girl ignored him,selling a paper immediately.As she collected the money,Mush turned to her again.

"I don't get it,why do you even hate me?"He asked with a small frown.Y/n turned to him and almost felt bad,but soon remembered why she hated him.

"Stop acting clueless,Mush."

"Huh?"He frowned,confused.

For the next few days,the two did everything together,yet Mush couldn't figure out what he'd done to the girl.He planned to ask her after selling one day.

"Hey pretty girl."

"Hm?"She looked up,facing Mush.He stood in his usual attire,yet he held his cap in his hands,which confused the girl."You alright,Mush?"She wondered.

"I've really been trying to think,but..will ya just tell me what I did for you to hate me?"He begged,gripping his cap out of anxiousness.Y/n bit her lip.

"Fine.Remember when I first started livin' in the lodging house and we got real close.."She said.Mush nodded.The two had been each others crushes only two years before,which caused Mush to be even more confused on why Y/n hated him."Well,one day I couldn't sleep,so I was gonna sit on the roof for a while.I heard what you said to the Blink and Race."She said,turning away from him.

"What?Y/n,look at me."Mush pulled the girl back,holding her bicep gently.He looked down at her,his eyebrows furrowed."What did I say?"

Y/n bit her lip anxiously,her face turning a shade of red."You told them that i'm nothing but a stupid girl.That i'll never sell papes like you guys.You said I was nothing to you,Mush."She spoke,almost reliving the mortifying moment.Looking up,Y/n caught the regret on his face.The girl cleared her throat,turning away once more.She continued to sell for another few minutes before she heard Mush mutter something.At first,the girl didn't want to know,but curiosity got the best of her and she turned to him."What'd you say?"

"I'm sorry.Im really really sorry."He told her."I didn't know you heard.I didn't mean for you to hear.."

Y/n scoffed,"Doesn't change the fact you said it."

"No,Y/n-"He held her arm once more,"I didn't mean it.Hell,I never stopped liking you,why do ya think I follow you around all the time?"He said."I said that because I was embarrassed."Mush told her,looking down.The girl raised an eyebrow."Embarrassed about what?"she asked.Mush let his shoulders drop,"The boys were teasing me about you and I got scared.I really liked you and,y'know..once they realised it I got scared."

Y/n looked confused.She slowly shook her head."What do you mean scared?"She asked him.Mush licked his lips,"Well,scared you were gonna leave.Whenever I start to love someone they leave."He spoke quietly,purely embarrassed by showing his emotions towards the girl.Her eyes softened and she tilted her head slightly,"Mush..."

"Y/n,i'm truly sorry about what I said.If i'd known-"He shook his head,trying to find the words.For nearly two years,Mush had lived with the thought that Y/n just stopped liking him one day.In a way,he was relieved at the truth,but he also felt like he would throw up with the guilt he felt.

"Mush,I didn't know you felt that way,I-"

"No.Don't even try to apologise.None of this is your fault,okay?"He cut across,now holding both of Y/n's shoulders with a sad look on his face."I know we aren't gonna be friends straight away but..what'd you say we give it another go?"

"Sure."Y/n nodded,"Id like that."She looked at him,letting a small smile grow on her face.Mush immediately smiled widely,"There's my girl.God,I missed that smile."He chuckled.

For the next few weeks,the pair got along like nothing had happened.The newsies were more than confused when they came home laughing together on a random day.Skittery could only tell his best friend,'I told you so.'.

When Kloppman decided it was time to change the pairings,Y/n stood at the back,letting Mush see first.Please be him.The girl hoped,waiting for him to walk over.Before she could see him,the girl heard a loud 'Yes!' coming from the top of the group.This time she smiled and rolled her eyes,waiting for her boy.