Racetrack Higgins

Racetrack Higgins blew out smoke from his signature cigar while he sat on the roof of the newsboy lodging house.If he hadn't heard a small cough from beside him he would've forgotten he wasn't alone up there.

"Are you asleep?"he asked,his voice softer than usual.

"No"Y/n answered.

Race felt the girl shift closer to him and lean her head on his shoulder.It wasn't unusual for the two to be up close and personal,but racetracks feelings in the last few weeks had changed towards Y/n.The boy thought about telling Y/n about his newly found feeling towards her but he was afraid of ruining their friendship.

"Race?"

"Hm?"

"I think-well..I-"Y/n couldn't seem to chose the right words.

"Are you okay?"Racetrack asked,sitting up and looking at the girl.She quickly nodded and sat up too.

"We're friends right?"She pointed out."Of course we are"Race frowned.

"I..i've never felt this close to a friend before"Y/n admitted.

"What are you saying?"Racetrack asked,a small blush covering his face.

"Race,i think i like you more than a friend."The girl told him,a blush covering her face too.

Race stood up with wide eyes and Y/n felt herself frown."You do?"He asked,looking down at her.

"I-yeah-but you don't have to like me back!"Y/n told him,"God,I shouldn't have told you.Im sorry Race"Y/n bit the inside of her cheek,now embarrassed with herself

"Y/n.."Race kneeled in front of the sitting girl,"I like you too.Much more than I like my friends"He admitted.Y/n looked up with hopeful eyes."Really?"

"I'm real happy you said something"
Race smiled.The girl smiled back.

"Me too."