Chatpter-5: Unveiling Emotions

The physics professor arrives, signaling the beginning of the physics lecture. The classroom is abuzz with discussions about the canteen incident, and laughter echoes as jokes are made at Arita's expense. Arita can't shake the strange feeling, as she never intended to be the center of attention for such unnecessary gossip. Sadly, this isn't a new experience for her; she's faced similar treatment in the past.

As the professor delves into the lecture, Arita finds it challenging to concentrate amidst the whispers and stifled laughter. The atmosphere is tense, and Arita becomes increasingly uncomfortable. She glances around the room, catching glimpses of her classmates exchanging sly looks.

After the last lecture concludes, Arita bids goodbye to Anda, who gives her an encouraging smile. As Arita begins her walk towards the bus stand, the earlier events replay in her mind. Thoughts swirl, and she wonders, "What will Anda think about me now? She was the only friend I made in the class, and now she might not want to be my friend."

The path to the bus stand seems longer than usual, each step accompanied by a heavy sense of self-consciousness. Arita contemplates the impact of the gossip on her budding friendship with Anda. The weight of judgment from her classmates hangs over her, making the journey home a daunting experience.

Upon reaching the bus stand, Arita witnesses the bus pulling away. "Today is going to be really tough for me... now the bus is gone too," Arita expresses her disappointment as she takes a seat at the bus stand. The weight of impending scolding from her parents hangs over her. "I am sure Mom and Dad will scold me today... I escaped in the night, but now-"

Suddenly, a car horn interrupts her thoughts, and when she looks up, she sees Anda in the car. "Arita, hop in. I'll drop you," Anda offers. Arita approaches the car and hesitates, saying, "No, it's okay. Another bus will come in about an hour."

"There won't be a bus for at least 40-60 minutes. You'll be late. It's better I drop you."

"Sit, Arita. I won't kidnap you." Arita laughs at Anda's playful remark and decides it would be wiser to avoid the prolonged wait for the bus. Reluctantly, she takes a seat in the back of Anda's car.

In the back seat, Andrew is already seated, having opened his window to let the wind play with his hair. His eyes are closed, and he's leaning on the car seat, relishing the breeze. Arita finds herself captivated by Andrew's carefree demeanor, momentarily losing herself in the sight.

"Which side is your house, Arita?" Anda inquires, attempting to redirect Arita's attention. However, Arita remains entranced by Andrew. "Arita... Arita," Anda calls out, prompting Arita to finally shift her gaze. "What happened, Anda?... Did you call my name?" Arita asks absentmindedly. "Hmm... a couple of times," Anda responds. "I was asking about the direction of your house," Anda clarifies, bringing Arita back to the present.

Then Anda followed the route as per Arita's instructions. "Stop here, Anda," Arita said. Anda brought the car to a halt. "Thank you, Anda," Arita said, stepping out of the car. "Thanks won't cut it; you'll have to treat me, okay?" Anda replied playfully, a small smile on her face. "Okay, then tomorrow's lunch is on me," Arita said, glancing at Andrew, who was still sleeping.

"Okay then... bye," Anda said. "Hm... bye," Arita responded with a big smile on her face, waving. "Aah!... it hurts," Arita exclaimed. "Take it easy, Arita.... please see a doctor once. I think you might have sprained your hand," Anda said with a touch of concern. "Hm... I will," Arita said. Anda started the car, heading towards her home, and Arita followed suit.

Upon reaching home, Arita headed straight to her room. Arita's mother noticed and asked, "What happened, Arita? Why does your face look so upset?" "Nothing, Mom... just had a lot of work in college today," Arita replied. "Okay... take some rest. We'll leave for your cousin's wedding in two hours," her mother suggested. "O... okay, Mom," Arita replied and headed straight to her room, lying down on her bed.