Phantom Traveler [3]

"So, every religion in every world culture has a concept of demons and demonic possession, right?" Sam reasoned as he looked over his research on his computer. "Christian, Native American, Hindu...you name it,"

"Yeah, but none of them describe anything like this," Dean pointed out.

"That's not exactly true. According to Japanese beliefs, certain demons are behind certain disasters, both natural and man-made. One causes earthquakes. Another causes disease,"

"And this one causes plane crashes?" Dean shook his head as he stood up from the couch. "All right. So we have a demon that's evolved with the times and found a way to ratchet up the body count?"

"Yeah. Who knows how many planes it's brought down before this one?"

Dean shook his head.

"What?"

"I don't know, man. This isn't our normal gig. I mean, demons, they don't want anything...just death and destruction for its own sake. This is big. I wish Dad was here,"

"Yeah." Sam sighed. "Me too,"

Rae filtered into the room.

"What's wrong?" Dean asked, recognizing the look on her face.

"Chuck Lambert is dead,"

"Another crash?" Sam questioned.

"Nazareth,"

"I'll try to ignore the irony in that," Dean muttered.

"You're lucky I can't physically hit you," Rae glared.

"Sorry,"

***

"All right, that's two plane crashes involving Chuck Lambert," Dean sighed back in Jerry's office. "This demon sounds like it was after him,"

"With all due respect to Chuck," Sam spoke up. "If that's the case, that would be the good news,"

"What's the bad news?"

"Chuck's plane went down exactly 40 minutes into the flight. And get this...so did flight 2485,"

"40 minutes? What does that mean?" Jerry wondered.

"It's Biblical numerology," Dean replied. "Noah's ark, it rained for 40 days. The number means death,"

"I went back," Sam explained, "and there have been six plane crashes over the last decade that all went down exactly 40 minutes in,"

"Any survivors?" Dean asked.

"No. Or not until now, at least...For some reason, it was not until Flight 2485. And the cockpit voice recorder...remember what the EVP said?"

"No survivors," Dean quoted. He stopped in realization. "It's going after all the survivors. It's trying to finish the job,"

***

"Really?" Sam said over the phone, "Well, thank you for taking our survey, and if you plan to fly, please don't forget your friends at United Britannia Airlines. Thanks," he hung up and glanced over at Dean as he drove the Impala. "That takes care of Blaine Sanderson and Dennis Holloway. They're not flying anytime soon. Our only wildcard is the flight attendant Amanda Walker. Her sister Karen said her flight leaves Indianapolis at 8:00. It's her first night back on the job,"

"That sounds like just our luck," Dean sighed.

"This is a 5-hour drive, even with you behind the wheel,"

"Call Amanda's cellphone again, see if we can't head her off at the pass,"

"I already left her three voice messages," Sam argued. "She must have turned her cell phone off. God, we're never going to make it,"

"We'll make it," Dean assured.

***

Dean and Sam ran into the airport.

Sam pointed to the screen with the flight departures. "Right there. They're boarding in 30 minutes,"

"Okay. We still have some cards to play." Dean reasoned as he walked towards a phone. "We need to find a phone," he picked up a white corded courtesy phone. "Hi. Gate 13. I'm trying to contact Amanda Walker. She's a flight attendant on the flight, um...flight 424," he huffed as he was put on hold. "Come on,"

"This is Amanda Walker,"

"Miss Walker," Dean greeted over the phone. "Hi, this is Dr. James Headfield from St. Francis Memorial Hospital. We have a Karen Walker here,"

"Karen?"

"Nothing serious...just a minor car accident, but she was injured, so..."

"That's impossible." Anna interrupted, "I just got off the phone with her,"

"You what?"

"Five minutes ago. She's at her house, cramming for a final. Who is this?"

"Uh, well...there must be some mistake,"

"And how would you even know I was here? Is this one of Vince's friends?"

"Guilty as charged,"

"Wow. This is unbelievable,"

"He's sorry,"

"Well, tell him to mind his own business and stay out of my life, okay?"

"Yes, but he needs to see you tonight, so..."

"No, I'm sorry. It's too late,"

"Don't be like that. Come on. The guy's a mess. Really. It's pathetic,"

"Really?"

"Oh, yeah,"

"Look, I've got to go. Tell him to call me when I land,"

"No, no. Wait, Amanda." Dean groaned when the phone was hung up. "Amanda," he slammed the phone back onto the wall. "Damn it! So close,"

"All right," Sam sighed. "It's time for plan B. We're getting on that plane,"

"Now, just hold on a second,"

"That plane is leaving with over 100 passengers on board, and if we're right, that plane is gonna crash,"

"I know,"

"We need to find that demon and exorcise it. I'll get the tickets. You get whatever you can out of the trunk. Meet me back here in five minutes," Sam realized Dean wasn't moving. "Are you okay?"

"No, not really," Dean admitted.

"What? What's wrong?"

"Well, I kind of have this problem with, uh..."

"Flying?"

"It's never really been an issue until now,"

"You're joking, right?"

"Do I look like I'm joking? Why do you think I drive everywhere, Sam?"

"All right. Uh, I'll go." Sam reasoned.

"What?"

"I'll do this one on my own,"

"What are you, nuts? You said it yourself: the plane will crash," Dean argued.

"Dean, we can do it together, or I can do it myself. I'm not seeing a third option here,"

Dean stamped his foot on the ground in frustration. "Come on! Really?"