Dead in the Water [3]

Sam opened the door to the motel he and Dean were staying in. "So, I think it's safe to say we can rule out Nessie,"

"What do you mean?" Dean asked as he looked up from Lucas's drawing.

Sam sat next to Dean "I just drove past the Carlton house. There was an ambulance there. Will Carlton is dead,"

"He drowned?"

"Yep. In the sink,"

"What the hell? So you're right, this isn't a creature. We're dealing with something else,"

"Yeah, but what?"

"I don't know." Dean said with a shake of his head "water wraith, maybe? He shrugged "Some kind of demon? I mean, something that controls water...water that comes from the same source,"

"The lake," Sam realized.

"Yeah,"

"Which would explain why it's upping the body count. The lake is draining. It'll be dry in a few months. Whatever this thing is, whatever it wants, it's running out of time,"

"And if it can get through the pipes, it can get to anyone, almost anywhere,"

"This is gonna happen again soon,:"

"And we do know one other thing for sure. We know this has got something to do with Bill Carlton,"

"Yeah, it took both his kids,"

"And I've been asking around. Lucas's dad, Chris-Bill Carlton's godson,"

Dean looked up at Sam "Let's go pay Mr. Carlton a visit,"

***

Bill Carlton was sitting on the bench on the dock.

"Mr. Carlton?" Sam asked.

Bill looked up as Sam and Dean approached.

"We'd like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind,"

"We're from the Department..." Dean started to explain.

"I don't care who you're with." Bill interrupted "I've answered enough questions today,"

"Your son said he saw something in that lake." Sam said "What about you? You ever seen anything out there? Mr. Carlton, Sophie's drowning and Will's death-we think there might be a connection to you or your family,"

"My children are gone. It's...it's worse than dying. Go away. Please,"

Sam and Dean headed back to the car, understanding they weren't going to get anything more out of the man.

"What do you think?" Sam voiced.

"Aw, I think the poor guy's been through hell. I also think he's not telling us something,"

Sam leaned against the Impala. "So now what?"

Dean went still.

"What is it?"

"Huh." Dean looked at the Carlton house "Maybe Bill's not the only one who knows something," He pulled out the picture that Lucas had drawn, which was of the Carlton house. Dean looked at Sam.

***

"I'm sorry, but I don't think it's a good idea," Andrea told the brothers.

"I just need to talk to him," Dean reasoned. "Just for a few minutes,"

"He won't say anything. What good's it gonna do?"

"Andrea, we think more people might get hurt. We think something's happening out there," Sam explained.

"My husband, the others, they just drowned. That's all," Andrea argued.

"If that's what you really believe, then we'll go. But if you think there's even a possibility that something else could be going on here, please let me talk to your son,"

Andrea shook her head "I'm sorry, but no," she closed the door.

Dean sighed as he felt a drop in temperature "Do what you gotta do," 

And just like that the temperature was normal, like a gust of wind had just blown by.

***

Lucas was coloring in his bedroom, toy soldiers stood around him.

Rae flickered in the doorway before solidifying as she crouched down by the young boy. "Hey, Lucas. You probably don't know me, but I'm a friend of Dean's, the adult child you met on the playground,"

Lucas remained unfazed as he dropped the crayon he had been coloring with and pointed to Dean's stick drawing of a redhead.

Rae nodded "Yeah, that's me. Listen, Lucas, I'm trying to protect those boys, and I could really use your help in that," she pulled out Lucas's last drawing "How did you know to draw this? Did you know something bad was gonna happen?" Rae sighed when Lucas remained unspoken "I understand that you're scared. I've been scared before too, still am. But I have to keep a brave face...for Dean. And I'm sure your dad wants you to be brave too,"

Lucas took out a drawing of a white church, a yellow house, and a boy with a blue baseball cap and red bicycle in front of a wooden fence and handed it to Rae.

Rae smiled softly as she took the page, wincing a bit at the amount of concentration it took just to hold the physical object "Thanks, Lucas,"