Phantom Traveler [2]

"I don't understand." Max said as the boys spoke to him at the Riverfront Psychiatric Hospital, "I already spoke with Homeland Security,"

"Right. Some new information has come up," Dean claimed. "So if you could just answer a couple of questions..."

"Just before the plane went down, did you notice anything unusual?" Sam questioned

"Like what?" Max asked.

"Strange lights, weird noises, maybe..." Dean listed off. "Voices,"

"No," Max replied. "Nothing,"

"Hmm." Dean hummed, "Mr. Joffrey..."

"Jaffey," Max corrected.

"Jaffey. You checked yourself in here, right?"

Max nodded.

"Can I ask why?"

"I was a little stressed. I survived a plane crash," Max recalled.

"Uh-huh. And that's what terrified you? That's what you were afraid of?"

"I-I don't want to talk about this anymore,"

"I think maybe you did see something up there. We need to know what."

"No. No, I was delusional...seeing things,"

Dean shared a look with Sam. "He was seeing things,"

"Then just tell us what you thought you saw, please," Sam assured.

"There was...this...man." Max explained, "And he had these eyes...these, uh...black eyes. And I saw him...I thought I saw him..."

"What?" Dean asked.

"He opened the emergency exit. But that's impossible, right? I mean, I looked it up. There's something like two tons of pressure on that door,"

Sam shrugged in thought. "This man...did he seem to appear and disappear rapidly? It would look something like a mirage,"

"What are you, nuts? He was a passenger. He was sitting right in front of me,"

***

Sam looked up at the house. "Here we are...George Phelps, seat 20c,"

"Man, I don't care how strong you are. Even yoked up on PCP or something, no way you can open up an emergency door during a flight," Dean reasoned.

"Not if you're human," Rae pointed out as she appeared next to Dean.

"What do you know?" Dean asked.

Rae shrugged. "As much as you...it's just an energy. Feels not human,"

"Does that look like a creature's lair to you?"

"Do I need to remind you how you lived?" Rae challenged, earning an amused smirk from Sam.

***

Sam picked up a photo showing George. "Is this your late husband?"

George's wife nodded. "Yes, that was my George.

"And you said he was a...dentist?" Dean questioned.

"Mm-hmm," George's wife nodded. "He was headed to a convention in Denver. Do you know that he was petrified to fly? For him to go like that..."

"How long were you married?' Sam asked, steering the conversation away from the accident.

"13 years,"

"In all that time, did you ever notice anything...strange about him, anything out of the ordinary?"

George's wife looked between Sam and Dean. "Well...Uh, he had acid reflux, if that's what you mean,"

***

"It goes without saying. It just doesn't make any sense," Sam argued as he and Dean walked back to the Impala after interviewing George's wife.

"A middle-aged dentist with an ulcer is not exactly evil personified," Dean noted. "What we need to do is get inside that NTSB warehouse, check out the wreckage,"

"Okay," Sam agreed. "If we're gonna go that route, we'd better look the part,"

***

Dean tugged at the suit he had just bought. "Man, I look like one of the Blues Brothers,"

"No, you don't," Sam argued. "You look more like a seventh-grader at his first dance,"

Dean glanced down at his attire. "I hate this thing,"

"Hey. You want into that warehouse or not?" Sam challenged.

***

Once inside the warehouse where the plane was located, Dean began to put his earbuds in for the EMF.

Sam looked at the object. "What is that?"

"It's an EMF meter," Dean replied. "It reads electromagnetic frequencies,"

"Yeah," Sam scoffed. "I know what an EMF meter is, but why does that one look like a busted-up walkman?"

Dean looked down at his detector "'Cause that's what I made it out of. It's homemade,"

"Yeah, I can see that,"

Dean frowned at Sam's sarcasm and moved around the room with the detector. He stopped when the EMF detector began to click rapidly. "Check out the handle," Dean rubbed his thumb against a yellow substance that was covering the handle of the emergency exit door. "What is this stuff?"

"One way to find out," Sam reasoned as he used his pocketknife to scratch a bit of the yellow substance into a jar.

The duo looked up when alarms began to blare, and they took off through the back door.

Dean threw up his jacket to cover the barbed wires at the top of the gate and jumped over, Sam close behind. "These monkey suits do come in handy," he laughed.

***

"Huh," Jerry hummed as he looked at the yellow substance Sam was able to scrape off the plane. "This stuff is covered in sulfur,"

Dean felt a shiver go up his spine and, from the brief scent of lavender, knew something about the sulfur had Rae amped.

"You're sure?" Sam asked.

"Take a look for yourself," Jerry reasoned as he heard arguing outside his office door. "If you fellows will excuse me, I have an idiot to fire,"

Dean looked through the microscope. "Not too many things leave behind a sulfuric residue,"

"Demonic possession?"

"It would explain how a mortal man would have the strength to open up an emergency hatch,"

"If the guy was possessed, it's possible,"

"This goes way beyond floating over a bed or barfing pea soup. It's one thing to possess a person, but to use them to take down an entire airplane?"

"You ever heard of something like this before?"

"Never," Dean admitted.