Dead in the Water [4]

Sam held the church picture that Rae was able to procure from Lucas. "There are cases-going through a traumatic experience could make people more sensitive to premonitions, psychic tendencies,"

"Whatever's out there, what if Lucas is tapping into it somehow?" Dean wondered "I mean, it's only a matter of time before somebody else drowns, so if you got a better lead, please,"

"All right, we got another house to find,"

"The only problem is there are about a thousand yellow two-stories in this county alone,"

Sam looked over the picture once more "See this church? I bet there's less than a thousand of those around here,"

"Oh, College Boy thinks he's so smart," Dean teased.

***

"We're sorry to bother you, ma'am..." Dean spoke to an old woman, Mrs. Sweeney, the owner of the house in Lucas's latest painting. "But does a little boy live here, by chance? He might wear a blue ball cap, has a red bicycle,"

"No sir." Mrs. Sweeney admitted. "Not for a very long time. Peter's been gone for thirty-five years now," she sighed "The police never-I never had any idea what happened. He just disappeared,"

Sam nudged Dean and pointed out the number of toy soldiers on the table.

"Losing him-you know, it's...it's worse than dying,"

"Did he disappear from here?" Dean wondered "I mean, from this house?"

"He was supposed to ride his bike straight home from after school," Mrs. Sweeney recalled "and he never showed up,"

Dean picked up a picture off the mirror.

There were two boys in the picture, one Peter with a bicycle.

"Peter Sweeney and Billy Carlton, nineteen seventy," Dean read from the back of the picture.

***

"Okay, this little boy Peter Sweeney vanishes, and this is all connected to Bill Carlton somehow," Sam reasoned as he and Dean drove in the Impala.

"Yeah, Bill sure as hell seems to be hiding something, huh?" Dean agreed.

"And Bill, the people he loves, they're all getting punished,"

"So what if Bill did something to Peter?"

"What if Bill killed him?"

"Peter's spirit would be furious. It'd want revenge. It's possible,"

***

"Mr. Carlton?" Sam called out as he and Dean approached the Carlton house.

The brothers heard an engine roar and ran around the house to see Bill going out on the lake in his boat. Dean and Sam ran to the end of the dock.

"Mr. Carlton!" Dean exclaimed "You need to come back! Come out of the water! Turn the boat around!"

"Mr. Carlton!" Sam shouted.

Bill ignored the Winchester and kept going.

The water rose up and flipped Bill's boat over. The boat and Bill vanished.

***

Lucas was sitting in a chair in the police station, rocking back and forth.

Andrea was sitting next to Lucas, holding a paper bag and a plastic container. "Baby, what's wrong?"

Sam, Dean, and Jake Devins walked in the door.

Andrea looked over "Sam, Dean," she greeted as she stood up, putting the bag and container on her chair. "I didn't expect to see you here,"

"So now you're on a first-name basis." Jake noted, "What are you doing here?"

"I brought you dinner," Andrea motioned towards the bag and container.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart, I don't really have the time,"

"I heard about Bill Carlton. Is it true? Is something going on with the lake?"

"Right now we don't know what the truth is. But I think it might be better if you and Lucas went on home,"

Lucas looked up and whined, looking stricken; he jumped up and grabbed Dean's arm.

Dean looked down "Lucas, hey, what is it?"

Lucas only continued to frantically grab Dean's arm.

"Lucas,"

Andrea noticed the commotion "Lucas,"

Dean knelt down to Lucas's eye level "Lucas, it's okay. It's okay. Hey, Lucas, it's okay. It's okay,"

Andrea pulled Lucas away from Dean and lead him outside.

Lucas didn't look away from Dean.

Jake threw down his jacket and went into his office, the boys followed as if they were heading into the principal's office. "Okay, just so I'm clear, you see...something attack Bill's boat, sending Bill-who is a very good swimmer, by the way-into the drink, and you never see him again?"

Dean glanced at Sam "Yeah, that about sums it up,"

"And I'm supposed to believe this, even though I've already sonar swept that entire lake? And what you're describing is impossible? And you're not really Wildlife Service?"

Dean tried to keep a straight, but Jake noticed the shift.

"That's right, I checked. Department's never heard of you two,"

"See, now, we can explain that," Dean claimed.

"Enough. Please. The only reason you're breathing free air is one of Bill's neighbors saw him steering out that boat just before you did. So, we have a couple of options here. I can arrest you for impersonating government officials and hold you as material witnesses to Bill Carlton's disappearance. Or, we can chalk this all up to a bad day, you get into your car, you put this town in your rearview mirror, and you don't ever darken my doorstep again,"

"Door number two sounds good," Sam voiced.

Dean remained unspoken, but he definitely felt the shift and temperature and knew Rae had something to say about this deal.

***

Dean and Sam were in the Impala, waiting at a traffic light.

A sign said I-43 North to Milwaukee was to the left. The light turned green. The Impala didn't move.

"Green," Sam noted.

"You think I don't know that?" Dean snapped allowing Sam to note that his brother's foot was on the gas pedal.

"What?"

"We can't leave," Rae said from the back seat.

"Jezus, Rae," Dean said as both he and Sam had jumped.

"You heard the Sheriff," Sam said.

"Getting threatened by authority's never stopped you before," Rae noted "The job's not done,"

"The spirit killed Billy." Dean shrugged "Maybe it's unfinished business is finished,"

"Lucas didn't think so," Rae reminded.

Dean thought back to the little boy tugging on his arm to get his attention. "Damn it," he cursed under his breath. "Hang on," Dean made a quick u-turn and headed back into town.