eight

𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁
𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘳𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨

𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘳𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨

━━━━━━ † ━━━━━━

Thick gloves, some white fur ear muffs and a padded coat were not enough to stop the cold biting Jules' skin. A layer of snow covered every ground besides the road and a couple of the sidewalks.

After delivering nine out of ten bags, Jules recieved a call. She pulled out her phone to see it was the landline for the Walter house. Jules watched Kiara take out the last bag from the trunk of her car as she answered, "Hello?"

"Jules, hi, I'm just checking in, I wanted to see what time you'd be home." Katherine said on the other end.

"Oh, well," Jules glanced to the last bag in her friends hand. She didn't want to go back to that house to spend her first holiday without her family. "We still have more to do so I won't make it back in time for dinner."

"That's not an option, honey." Katherine responded, "I didn't wanna spoil the surprise but your Uncle Richard's here to see you."

A light grew in Jules' eyes when she processed the information. Her Uncle was here? In Colorado? Maybe he'd come to take her and Jackie back to New York.

"Okay, um, I'll be there soon." She said before ending the call.

"You seem happier all of a sudden?" Kiara observed.

"My Uncle's here." Jules told her, "Maybe I can talk to him about going back to New York, or at least visiting."

Kiara exhaled a sort of sad sigh, "For what it's worth, I'd hate to see you go, but do what makes you happy, Jules."

━━━━━━ † ━━━━━━

After delivering the last Thanksgiving bag, Kiara drove Jules back to the Walter house. She started the climb out of the vehicle, "Thanks, Kiara, for everything. I'm more grateful than I seem, honestly."

"I know." Kiara's lips pulled into a grin, "Now go enjoy yourself, okay? I'll see you at school."

"Bye." Jules exited the car and watched Kiara drive off before she hurried up the porch steps and into the house.

There was noise coming from all directions, as usual the house was alive. The warmth immediately hit Jules' cold skin, creating a harsh tingling sensation. She shed her winter clothing, placing them onto the coat hooks.

As she turned the corner, the smell of turkey, vegetables and all the trimmings clung to her nostrils, rumbling her stomach. Richard suddenly came into view in the kitchen doorway, "Surprise!"