Chapter Seven

Right now, she feels a little bad about the way things are progressing this morning. The girls are...rambunctious to say the very least because they are so excited for Santa to come tonight and the presents they will receive from grandma and grandpa. Which Regina is still trying to process and wrap her head around that Snow and David are her children's grandparents. Luca is very needy and wants to be held all day and Henry is off with Grace and some friends sledding. The cherry on top is that they are having guests over at four o'clock and they still need to clean and cook.

"Bath time," Emma declares for what seems to be the fourth time. She looks absolutely wrecked while Luca clings to her and refuses for her to put him down all while she attempts to corner the girls into the bathroom. "Girls, enough! Bath," she orders and because she sounds like she's at her wits' end, Regina appears behind her.

"Would you like me to take Luca, so you can give the girls a bath?" She kindly asks, producing the most grateful expression Emma has ever flashed her way.

"Thank you," she breathlessly says, handing over the little boy who is still wrapped in his towel with a wet head.

"Would you like me to dress him?"

"Yeah, you bought something for him today. I think it's hanging in the closet?" Emma rambles, scooping the twins up who are dancing around singing Jingle extra loud.

"That narrows it down," she deadpans.

"It's Christmas-y. You'll know."

Regina rolls her eyes, carrying Luca into his room. She attempts to set him down in the middle of the room while she gathers his clothes but he starts kicking and squirming, telling her no, over and over again.

"Alright, alright," she exclaims, holding him close and rubbing his tiny back. "Why are you so needy today, hmmm?" She glides toward the closet and instantly finds what he is supposed to wear today for the party. "When your brother was little and he wanted to be held so much it was for two reasons; one, he didn't feel well and he was coming down with something or two, I was working a lot and he was missing me." She stops, looks this little boy square in the eyes and asks like he knows exactly what she's talking about. "Are you not feeling well?"

She places her hand to his forehead but he feels normal to her. She shrugs, then swipes the hanger off the rack.

"Do you miss the other version of me? The mother that took care of you all day? I'm sure you're wondering why I'm not taking care of you or showering you with love, huh?"

Luca doesn't respond, of course, he only has a handful of words. However, as she speaks to him, he must find it soothing because he tucks his arms beneath his body and cuddles against her chest. How is she supposed to resist his little charms? She cups the back of his wet head and slowly rocks him from left to right.

"Is this what you need, baby? As your sister calls it, cuddles?" She muses, not at all thinking about her behavior because her only concern is this toddler, so she places a kiss to the top of his head and sways with him.

She hums, You Are My Sunshine, then proceeds to sway around the room with this lovable baby nuzzling against her. She doesn't believe she is there for very long, but soon Emma is poking her head inside with a girl in each arm, one wrapped in a duck towel and another in a lady bug towel.

"Hey, you remember?" Emma excitedly asks, the glint of excitement and hope beaming from her eyes like fireworks.

Regina almost lies to her just to keep that smile on her face.

"I beg your pardon?" She whispers for the baby's sake.

"You Are My Sunshine, you always sing that to the kids before bed," Emma acknowledges and no, Regina's heart doesn't skip a beat.