Chapter 10: My tick tick time is up

Stepping through the Portal that lead to the Internet Graveyard somehow felt like they were admitting defeat. While talking about this case with Meggy and Tari was nice, it did not help them figure out who was behind all this. There was still something missing, something that would connect all these pieces of evidence they had gathered. They just needed that one, final piece - And they were slowly but surely running out of places to look for it.

"So.. what exactly are we looking for?" SMG4 asked, as the two of them entered the broken-in building, the shards of glass cracking under their shoes.

SMG3's Starbucks had already been thoroughly investigated by FM and his group of officers – It was very unlikely that the two wanna-be detectives would find anything here that hadn't already been uncovered. Still, they were desperate for clues, hints, evidence... ANYTHING that would tell them what happened here yesterday.

"The first thing I need to find is a spare shirt" SMG3 said, looking down at the blue pullover SMG4 had lent him. "No offense towards your clothes but you have NO sense of fashion".

SMG4 squinted his eyes slightly. "Surprisingly enough, I DO take offense to that", he said, while looking down at his own outfit.

"Well that sounds like a YOU problem then, I clearly said 'no offense'" SMG3 winked at SMG4 before turning towards the main counter of the coffee shop. Given that not all of the Memes down here have the necessary motor skills to hold a cup of coffee correctly, it wasn't rare for someone or something to spill coffee on SMG3. So he started storing some spare-shirts and pullovers under the counter in case he ever needed a quick outfit-change.

"Aha! Found it!" SMG3 pulled out one of his iconic purple shirts, unfolding it carefully and placing it down on the counter. He could finally take off this dumb blue shirt now... although it did smell kind of nice. As SMG3 pulled the shirt up and over his head, the scent of pine and cinnamon flooded his senses for a second. The shirt still smelled like SMG4.

Holding the deep blue fabric in his hands, SMG3 was tempted to smell on it again, when he suddenly remembered that the owner of the shirt was still in the room with him. SMG3 quickly turned his head towards SMG4, praying that he hadn't realized what SMG3 was about to do.

"Were- were you about to smell my shirt?" To SMG3's dismay, SMG4 had indeed noticed. "NO? And if I were to do that then only because it stinks so bad" SMG3 yelled, while throwing the blue shirt at SMG4. Due to SMG4's terrible reaction time, the shirt hit him directly in the face.
"OMPF!" SMG4 let out an unintelligible sound of surprise before pulling the shirt away from his face and looking back at SMG3. "Come on, I don't smell that ba-" 

SMG4 stopped talking, his eyes fixated on SMG3. SMG3 was about to ask if he had something on his face, when he realized that he was still not wearing a shirt.

For a second, the two men just stared at SMG3's exposed upper-body before SMG3 quickly put his shirt and hat back on

For a second, the two men just stared at SMG3's exposed upper-body before SMG3 quickly put his shirt and hat back on. "Anyways.." SMG3 coughed, trying to re-gain composure.