Chapter 9: For merely dreaming we were snow

Finding Meggy wasn't a difficult task; After leaving the Showgrounds, all SMG3 and SMG4 had to do was knock on her front door and they were quickly let in.

Getting her to agree to answer some questions wasn't difficult either; After explaining, that they were investigating a break-in, she was happy to help. Due to her time in the police force, she knew how important good witnesses are in cases like these.
And besides, Meggy would never ignore her friends when they need her.

No, none of these things were difficult.
What was difficult however was getting her to stop grinning at SMG3 and SMG4.

"Soo..." Meggy cleared her throat. She and the two guys were now sitting in her living room; SMG3 and SMG4 were sitting next to each other on the couch and Meggy had taken a seat in one of the chairs next to them.
"Are you two dating now?"

"What??" SMG4 and SMG3 asked in unison. By this point, they had gotten so used to people thinking they were dating that they weren't even shocked anymore, just mildly annoyed.
"What makes you think we're dating?" SMG4 asked, tilting his head slightly.

Meggy gestured at both of them. "You're wearing the same shirt – don't couples like showing off by wearing matching outfits?"
SMG3 huffed angrily. "Oh my god, why does everyone keep commenting about our damn outfits?? Every single person we've talked to yesterday had something to say about our detective disguises! Personally, I thought we looked pretty good! Do we usually look like shit or why are people so surprised to see us in good clothes??"

 "Oh my god, why does everyone keep commenting about our damn outfits?? Every single person we've talked to yesterday had something to say about our detective disguises! Personally, I thought we looked pretty good! Do we usually look like shit or ...

SMG3's sudden burst of anger surprised Meggy. "Woah dude calm down. It's just interesting to see you in different outfits because you two usually wear the exact same clothes every day."
That... was actually true. SMG3 scratched his head – Everyone commenting about their outfit-change suddenly made more sense now. Still; can't people just let a man wear what he wants?

He looked at the shirt that SMG4 had lent him. It was a bright blue, like the Atlantic ocean; Typical for his fellow Meme Guardian but unusual for himself. The fact that they looked like a couple had already crossed Threes mind, but someone else pointing it out still felt a bit uncomfortable.

Would it still be like this if they were actually a couple?

They really needed to finish that conversation about the state of their relationship...

Meggy continued, interrupting SMG3's thoughts. "Also, what was that about a detective outfit? Did you two dress up as detectives for this?? And I missed it?!" Meggy frowned. She would have loved to see her friends in dorky outfits.
Mario and her could have made so many dumb jokes.

"Ah that- that's a long story. Would probably take like 8 chapters to explain." SMG4 chimed in, shrugging. "But we don't have time for that now! We really need to ask you some questions."

"Right right." Meggy sat up in her chair, focusing back on the present. She could think about silly outfits later. "So, tell me what you need to know!"

SMG4 smiled and looked over at his partner, allowing him to take the lead. SMG3 looked at the notes on his notepad, trying to find out what question he should ask first. "Basically.. we need to know everything." He looked at Meggy pleadingly. "We have almost nothing so far."