Masquerade Ball

(19th December, 1998) Harry's POV

Tonight I am going to ask Hermione to be my girlfriend. I hope she says yes. I'm dressed for the black and white masquerade ball. I'll be meeting Hermione in the entrance hall. Hopefully everything goes to plan and after tonight we'll officially be dating.

Hermione's POV

Tonight is the black and white masquerade ball. All the weeks of planning is finally over. Now I can just relax and enjoy the ball. Before catching a train home tomorrow. Where my parents will meet Harry officially. I wish Harry and I were official when he meets them. But we're still only friends. Yes, we've gotten closer. But we still haven't kissed or asked the other to be our boyfriend or girlfriend. What if he doesn't want to date?

I shake my head. That'd be stupid. Harry wouldn't risk breaking the law. Maybe he wants to ask me in front of my parents or  friends. Though I never thought of him as the big romantic gesture type. But then again I never thought he'd get me such a thoughtful gift for my first birthday of us 'dating'. Someone knocks on my door.

"Hermione are you ready?" Ginny asks.

"Yes" I say as I grab my mask. Putting it on. I step into my shows and leave my dorm room.

"You look great" she tells me.

"So do you" I tell her. "Lets go meet our dates" I state. We'll be meeting Harry and Blaise in the entrance hall.

"Have you told Harry you're opening the ball with Neville and Hannah?" she asks me.

"No" I say sheepishly.

"Hermione, you know he is horrible at dancing. He deserved a chance to practice" she tells me.

"I know, but I've been so focused on all my duties and studies. It slipped my mind" I tell her.

"Who knows, maybe he's improved since the yule ball" she states.

"He wasn't to bad during the hunt for horcruxes" I tell her. She gives me a look. "We danced once after Ron left. Music was playing no the radio, we both took a break from wearing the locket. He pulled me into a dance, it was fun" I state.

"You guys really do make a good couple" she states. I smile. We reach the entrance hall. "Hi Harry, Blaise" she says smiling. I turn to see our dates.

"You look beautiful Ginny" Blaise states. She smiles. He offers her his arm and she links her's through it. They leave Harry and I alone.

"Wow Hermione" Harry says.

"You look handsome Harry" I state.

"Beautiful doesn't even suit how nice you look" he tells me then blushes.

"Hermione/Harry" we say together. Then chuckle. "You first" we say together again and laugh.

"No really, you first Hermione" he tells me.

"You know how you opened the yule ball?" I ask him.

"Yeah" he says.

"We have to open this ball with Neville and Hannah" I tell him sheepishly.

"Of course we do" he mutters. "Oh well" he says shrugging.

"What did you want to say?" I ask him curious.

"Later" he tells me and offers me his arm. "May I escort you?" he asks. I nod my head linking my arm through his. We enter the great hall together. We join Neville and Hannah on the dance floor. The music starts and Harry takes my waist we begin to dance.

A little clumsily at first. But we soon find our rhythm and the dance went smoother. Afterwards, it was time for the feast. Harry left before dessert, claiming to need the loo. But hasn't made it back yet and the Weird Sisters are about to perform.

Suddenly a spot light shines on the stage. And instead of professor Flitwick, it's Harry on stage. "Good evening everyone" he says. "Before the next band plays, I have an important question to ask someone. Hermione can you join me?" he asks. Another spotlight shines on me and Ginny nudges me.

I walk over to the stage and Harry helps me onto it. "Harry, what are you doing?" I ask him.

"You'll see" he assures me. "As you all know. Hermione have been best friends since our first year at Hogwarts. She's always had my best interests at heart. Even when I was being stubborn and didn't listen to her" he states. "I know, I was an idiot to ignore her advice" he adds.

"Anyway, I never thought in a million years that we'd ever be more then friends. But then the marriage law came into affect and we were paired up. Over this last few months, I've gotten to know Hermione better then ever. And I can't believe I never saw it before" he states.

"I always new she was brilliant, ambitious and loyal to a fault" he states. "But I never saw how truly beautiful and loving she was until this law. She is amazing with my godson Teddy, even though she had no experience with babies. I can see her being an amazing mother, even though she has her doubts about it. I never once thought there was anything she couldn't do or wasn't afraid to do" he states.

"But now I see, she is scared of somethings. But she carries on despite her fear, like a true gryffindor. She uses her smarts, not to help herself but those around her. She is selfless, kind, honest, can have a temper and above all what a beautiful witch she has become" he says looking into my eyes. Which are filled with unshed tears.

"So that being said, Hermione will you please be my girlfriend?" he asks me.

"Yes" I tell him and kiss him full on the lips. I didn't know how else to express all the emotions I was currently feeling. He returned it as the sound of the crowd cheering faded away. It was like we were alone. When we pull away, we're both blushing.

"Anyway, allow me to introduce a band that needs no introduction" Harry states. As the weird sisters appear. "Lumos" he says and the crowd cheer at the band Harry and I leave the stage and we go outside.

"I can't believe you did that" I tell him giggling.

"I can't believe it either" he says chuckling. "I was a nervous wreck" he admits.

"I don't know how you are going to top that" I tell him.

"For when?" he asks confused.

"When you propose" I state and he curses. I laugh.

"I should of made is smaller" he grumbles. I kiss his cheek.

"I don't care where or when you propose as long as we're together" I tell him. "Who knows, maybe I'll propose to you" I tease. He starts to tickle me and I squeal with laughter.

"I'm so happy you said yes" he tells me as we look into each others eyes.

"So am I" I tell him. And we kiss again. The rest of the night was amazing. We walked around the courtyard, had another dance and drink some butter beer with our friends. Harry then walked me to gryffindor tower before leaving. It was a truly magical evening.

A/N

Picture above of Harry and Hermione at the ball.