Twenty One: Ms. Communication

Chloe, Halsin and Scratch reappeared at camp, their voices carrying on the wind as they discussed the necklace Scratch had found. A metal talisman on a cord that seemed to be etched with the same markings the Absolute cultists wore as a brand.

"It's probably a tracking device, or some sort of enchantment." Halsin stated, taking the necklace and examining it in the daylight. "It's strange..." he added, squinting at the necklace.

"What's interesting?" Wyll asked, suddenly appearing in front of them as Chloe and Halsin reached camp to find everyone packing up their belongings. Chloe held out the amulet to Wyll for him to inspect.

"The mark of the Absolute.." he murmured, turning it over in his hand. "What is it?" He turned again to Chloe and Halsin.

"Scratch found it in the woods." Chloe supplied, taking it back and holding it up to examine it herself.

"Maybe it's some sort of tracking spell or something. Like, whoever's wearing it can be tracked? But by whom? Or maybe... it's a key."
Halsin looked to Chloe, seeming interested in her hypothesis.

"It could be a key, yes. It does look similar to the brand." He confirmed.

"I have a theory." Chloe began, already smirking. "This brand opens doors when it's on their face. But is truly no one under the Absolute kept anonymous for her own purposes if nothing else? What if this is what you get when the Absolute doesn't want you to bear the brand but still be recognized by your fellow cultists when necessary..?" She looked back and forth between Wyll and Halsin, eyebrows raised as if asking a question.

"A token." Wyll stated, a note of intrigue in his voice. "Clever."

"Well then, what are we waiting for?" Astarion interrupted, appearing next to them. "As Chloe says, we must 'keep playing' if we want to find answers." He made sassy little air quotes around "keep playing."

Chloe rolled her eyes at him, taking the necklace back from Wyll.

"Come on. Let's go." She mumbled, leading the way towards the ruins of the old temple. As the group walked, Chloe pulled Astarion to hover with her a few feet behind.

"Hey," she started softly. "Can I talk to you?"

Astarion, seemingly momentarily surprised, quickly gathered his face to its typical mask of apathy. "I rather thought you and Halsin would have spent more time in those woods alone together. Can the big man not satisfy you?" He chuckled, and Chloe couldn't tell if he was trying to be hurtful or just making a joke. She looked up at him with confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"Come now love, you're telling me you two didn't spend last night together?" He gave her a look.
Chloe shook her head.

"No, I slept around the fire, same as always. I went to find him this morning while he was foraging and we scared off a pack of wolves." She paused. "I'm sorry, I am a little confused. You sort of...ran away after we..." she breaks off, taking a deep breath before continuing. "And then you seemed like maybe you wanted to nudge me toward Halsin. He and I kissed, but that's all that's happened so far, just by the way. I just kind of thought you were politely telling me you weren't interested anymore.." She trails off, feeling suddenly embarrassed.
Astarion didn't say anything for a moment.

"You-you didn't know..." he started, looking down at her, and she shook her head, eyes wide.

"Know what?" She whispered, desperate to know whatever it was he was thinking about right then, looking at her like that.

"Nothing. No, it's...nevermind." He stammered, avoiding her gaze.

"Astarion, please!" She pleaded, grabbing his arm to pull them both to a halt, falling further behind the others who walked ahead.

Astarion was quiet for a moment. Chloe could hear his fangs grind as he clenched his jaw, and his face was pained.

"I thought you knew I didn't want to be your friend, Chloe."

Chloe's shoulders fell.

"You don't want to be my friend? Like, at all?"

Astarion sighed.

"I suppose not." He shrugged, a sad smile crossing his lips as he met her eyes. Her heart sank a little, but she tried her best not to let it show.

"Fine. We don't have to be friends, then." She responded, unable to help the hurt creeping into her voice. She began to walk again, passing him and hurrying to catch up to the rest of the party.

They approached a set of steps, winding upwards into a tree-covered hill. Astarion sped up his pace to come and walk alongside her, though she avoided his gaze.

The group gathered together to discuss the final details of Chloe's master plan before continuing up the stairs, Chloe at lead, slipping the Absolute amulet over her head.

As soon as they arrived at the top of the stairs, the doors burst open. A tall woman, wearing only a short skirt, a chest harness and the symbol of the Absolute burned onto her forehead, appeared, a group of three men following her out of the building.

"State your purpose or be killed where you stand!" The large woman shouted, and every fiber of Chloe's instincts told her to obey her stern command. Luckily, she'd already planned on doing just that.

Deciding to just get the test of her theory over and done with, Chloe reached beneath her armor to pull out the amulet and show it to the woman wordlessly.

The woman stared for a moment before a wicked smile crept across her face.

"Welcome, sister. You've been expected. Step inside and I will take you to the master." She waved Chloe and the rest of the group in. Chloe had to bite her lip hard to keep from smiling in victory.

The woman turned her back to the group, leading the way inside.
"You, sister. Only you are permitted beyond these doors. Your companions will wait here."

Fuck.

"They go where I go, or you will have to tell your master they can keep expecting me until they die of old age." She said suddenly, surprised by the bravado in her own voice. She looked intently at the tall woman, waiting to see how her response would be received. The tall woman leaned back slightly, as if taking a closer look at Chloe.

Shit. Fuck. Fucking shit.

"Very well.." the tall woman finally said, though she was clearly not pleased.

I had hoped to make it in here under the guise of us all being friendly, but it is what it is, Chloe thought. They continued through the door and into a large, dark chamber.

A long table was situated on a platform at the other end of the room, surrounded by tall windows, overlooking the city of Moonrise. Sitting at the table was a lone person, a half elf woman with long brown hair and pale skin, a long, red robe draped across her shoulders. She sat at the end of the table, sipping wine, and did not move or speak as the party approached.

Chloe heard Astarion hiss under his breath.

"My master, we have visitors."