Twenty: Dessert

Chloe returned to camp, the others once again hushing their conversation as she approached. Chloe was still naked and drying from the walk back to camp from the river when she made her way to her pack to look for some clothes.

"Chloe," she was surprised to hear Astarion right behind her, and almost jumped out of her skin at his sudden appearance.

"Jesus, Star, warn a bitch." Chloe mumbled, covering her heart dramatically as it thundered beneath her sternum.

Astarion had a slight grin, amused at her theatrics, and perhaps his new nickname.

"Apologies," he offered slyly, though he didn't sound in the least bit apologetic.

He was silent a moment, watching her. Chloe felt the hair on her neck stand up as his eyes roved over her body, her back turned to him as she pulled some clean clothes from her pack.

She risked a glance at the others, about thirty feet away, gathered around the campfire to eat, but barely speaking. She caught all four of them staring at her exchange with Astarion before they turned away, pretending they had never looked in the first place.

"What's up?" Chloe asked Astarion, who was still merely standing in front of her.

She pulled a simple linen top over her head, and was struggling with the laces on the front when Astarion wordlessly approached her and began doing them up for her.
Chloe watched him tie the laces, not saying anything. He was careful to look only at the work his fingers were doing; not at Chloe. Chloe's heart fluttered a bit at the simple intimacy of the gesture, and she internally kicked herself for it.

"He didn't really want to leave you, you know..." he began softly, and Chloe looked up at him with confusion. His expression was more serene than she'd seen it in the past, and yet his eyebrows drew slightly together. Was he faking nonchalance?

Chloe glanced back at the others, eyes zeroing in on Halsin, knowing that's who Astarion had been talking about.

"You don't think so?" She questioned, voice also soft enough to avoid eavesdropping. Astarion continued tying the laces, finishing the last one on her shirt before backing up.

"No, precious. You were gone nearly two hours. He should have left long ago, but he let me keep yelling at him until you returned."
Chloe was surprised. She hadn't expected Halsin to fight for her, nor for Astarion to paint anyone besides himself in a positive light.

"He...waited..." Chloe mumbled, glancing back up at Astarion's ruby eyes for confirmation. He simply nodded, seeming almost sad. "Why are you telling me this, Astarion?"
Astarion took a deep breath, looking up at the night sky and back around as Chloe finally pulled on her trousers, covering her nudity for the time being.

"I—..." he hesitated, seeming to struggle. "I...suppose I just thought you would want to know." His tone became somewhat defensive, and Chloe reached for his arm.

"I do. I did. You were right. Thank you," she assured him. His face softened a little. "Why do you seem upset?" She asked, his air of melancholy nearly palpable.

Astarion didn't answer, his mouth opening slightly but nothing coming out. Chloe was growing suddenly extremely tired from the day's events. She tried to stifle a yawn as she awaited his response.

"You should rest." He said abruptly, turning on his heel to leave before turning back around and, after a moment of consideration, grasped Chloe's hand and brought her knuckles gently to his lips. "Goodnight, Chloe."

He dropped her hand and was gone in the blink of an eye.

Chloe sighed. Her stomach was in knots. She wanted to speak to the others, but the thought was overwhelming. She felt herself sinking into an abyss of depression, and the weight of everything felt too much. Surely the world would be better when she had gotten some rest, she figured.