Chapter 22: Ignited Sparks across the Night sky

You can't live without the fire
It's the heat that makes you strong
'Cause you're born to live and fight it all the way

You can hide what lies inside you
It's the only thing you know
You're embracing that, never walk away
Don't walk away

Keir knew something was amiss when Melinoe wasn't in bed with him. He woke to panicked servants and people speaking of war, apparently the High Lords of every court along with armies were outside Hewn City, waiting for the Darkbringers and for Melinoe. His heart began to race as fear took over. 'Just what did she do?!'

A sole piece of paper laid atop the nightstand told him where his wife was. "Meet me where you and I ran off together."

He made his way to the Thanatos estate, it was empty save for the room where he was called to meet her that fateful day. The meeting with Rhysand and the High Lady was nothing compared to the ache he felt when he saw his dear Melinoe bruised and bleeding on the floor. He'd saved her then, he would do it a thousand times if he had to, but she wasn't the one in need of saving now.

His wife was sitting in the high chair of Lord Matsuie Thanatos. She wore ancient armor and a crown of silver, white drops in chains and of course, sapphires. She looked regal even if her pregnancy was now showing.

The motionless dead bodies of Matsuie and Naomi Thanatos were laid in pools of crimson. He didn't feel any sadness at the scene, though Melinoe seemed slightly disappointed.

"I would've let them live, if they'd apologized. It's a shame, mercy is so scarce and yet many reject it."

"My doll, I sense there us something you must tell me."

"Yes, I believe Seneca told you the armies await our arrival. I have your armor ready should you want it."

"I won't be fighting anyone unless you explain to me what's going on!" He shouted, surprised at her monotone and calm demeanor.

"Fair enough." She stood from the chair, walking towards him.

Melinoe took a breath, she'd finally reveal the truth to her beloved Keir. She knew well there would be two ends to this conversation. He'd join her or he'd refuse her. She prayed for the former, otherwise her heart would never recover.

"When I was a child a wise man inspired me to rise against Lord Rhysand. That was my life purpose."

"This is an attack against him?! All the courts are here!"

"Precisely, my love. The man wants to be High King, the moment he decided to do that this fight ceased to be of just the Night Court and became a Prythian wide rebellion.

I been waiting for this day long before we met, and when we did I thought it'd found the perfect partner for my plans to come into fruition. Called in a few favors to let Gwen get away safely to the place she longed to be, and then you and I could be wed. Later on I was made aware that our beloved Calypso and Yamato Lethe weren't just two loving souls taken from this world too soon, but rather the former High Lady and Lord of Dusk. The forgotten court's capital being the very city we live on. Hewn City once thrived without the mountain prison we are trapped in. The true name of the city is Tasogare and you my love are the true heir to this court."