Chapter 10: Tetraphobia

But through all of that sorrow
We were riding high
And the truth of the matter is
I never let you go, let you go

Of all the days to get morning sickness, why did it have to be this one?!

Lucien woke up spilling out everything he had for dinner last night on the sink. He threw up two more times again in the shower and felt nauseous when the scent of food reached him. 

'This has to be the bond!' He thought to himself as he bent over the wastebasket really to spill again.

Why? Why today?! He didn't care about this! He made peace with it! Elain could have a harem if she pleased and he wouldn't give a damn! All he wanted to do was be at peace and enjoy the upcoming celebrations with his family.

He glanced at Tamlin who was still deep in slumber. His chest hurt upon realizing his beloved wolf had gone through all this on his own without daring to tell him or the others.

'I should've known, should've cared for you better.'

Brushing a strand of gold hair woke him up. He smiled drowsily at him until he saw his state. "Luce, sweetheart what's wrong?!"

"Nothing, darling. It's just the broken bond acting up. Sorry, I woke you."

"Don't say sorry. I'll get you something from Lea's lab, maybe some soup too."

"No, don't bother Azalea. I'm fine, I'll just skip breakfast." He told him, feeling the nausea dissipate but a headache coming on.

"At least let's have some lunch and afterward you can have some medicine, okay?"

"Okay."

Tamlin opened up his arms and pulled him into a hug. Gentle, tight, and comforting. He always loved being held like that.

He melted into Tamlin's loving hug and for a while, there was no pain. A part of him wanted to laugh. How could he ever think things could work between him and Elaine? Bond or no bond, his true soulmate was currently beside him, and nothing would make Lucien ever let him go again.

***

"You really caused a lot of trouble you cheeky rascal," Azalea said as she gently held onto the shrunken kraken.

He didn't fight her and was even affectionate as she comforted him while Cedric took a blood sample.

"I still can't believe you and Lord Tarquin fought this one. They're usually quite big."

"Well, this one was bigger than normal. Not to mention that symbol...I'm still mad we didn't find any explanation for it!"

"Dead languages are pain, your late sister must've told you that."

"Yes, she often did. I didn't think you'd be into linguistics too."

"Anything that keeps me away from social events is worth studying." He said half-jokingly half serious.

The second youngest Vanserra often kept his expression neutral, but every once in a while he'd crack a joke. From the time spent with him, Azalea could tell he was not very social but made up for that with intelligence that rivaled hers and Daphne's.

It had been a week since she fought a Kraken in Summer before her proposal. Most of her time had been spent meeting court members and slowly moving her things to the Summer Palace. It was likely these would be some of her last projects carried out in Rosehall's lab. 'It's okay. This isn't goodbye, it's just a break. I'll be back to visit."