015 Death At Our Door

Fifteen, Death At Our Door.

      The group had gathered back inside the prison after Rick had returned with both Daryl and Merle

The group had gathered back inside the prison after Rick had returned with both Daryl and Merle. They had locked the oldest Dixon on the other side as they did not trust him, Mikael in particular. The debate about whether they would stay at the prison or leave had been going on for at least ten minutes now.

Adeline stood with her arms crossed, watching the group and not bothering to add anything to the conversation. She despised the Governor, and she knew whatever she said would be what she wanted and not what the group needed. Her mind needed to be cleared and right now she wasn't thinking rationally.

"We ain't scared of that prick," Daryl replied to his brother's previous comment, pacing up and down the upper-level balcony.

"Y'all should be. That truck through the fence thing," Merle begins, "That's just him ringing the doorbell. We might have some thick walls to hide behind, but he's got the guns and the numbers," He reminds them of their predicament, "And if he takes the high ground around this place, shoot, he could just starve us out if he wanted to."

Mikael, who was leaning against the wall, stepped forward angrily, not wanting to listen to the man's agitating voice, "Let's put him in the other cell block."

Daryl was quick to shut him down and defend Merle, "No. He's got a point."

"This is all you! You started this." Maggie agrees with her brother, moving to stand beside him.

"What difference whose fault it is? What do we do?" Beth worriedly inquires, stepping down to the ground level.

"I said we should leave. Now Axel's dead." Hershel points out, "We can't just sit here."

Rick barely glances at the older man before turning around in the direction of the exit, but is stopped by Hershel's yell. "Get back here!"

Lola, who had only ever heard her Grandfather shout like this once— and it was at an animal— is startled. She moves closer to her mother's side and clutches her arm.

The oldest Greene approaches the departing man on his crutches, "You're slipping, Rick. We've all seen it. We understand why. But now is not the time."

Adeline didn't know how to feel. On one hand, she knew Rick was suffering and clearly struggling to grieve his wife properly, but on the other, he was the one who once told them it wasn't a democracy. Everyone had trusted him with the safety of the group, she felt that was unfair for one man to be in charge of so many lives. She didn't think so much pressure should be placed on Rick, however she also wished for there to be a plan. Adeline didn't want to sit around and wait for the Governor to retaliate, again, and put her family in danger.

"I put my family's life in your hands," Hershel continued, "So get your head clear and do something."

Rick took Hershel's nod of approval as a sign he could leave, and he did, storming out of the cell block and rushing off.