003 Secrets

Three, Secrets.

      Adeline wanted to join the group going out to practice shooting

Adeline wanted to join the group going out to practice shooting. She wanted to go so that if something were to happen then she'd be able to protect herself and her family. She even wanted Lola to come along with her, so she could protect herself if for whatever reason her parents weren't around. But, of course, Mikael had dismissed her.

Claiming he could protect her, and that he would keep herself. She shouldn't bother herself with guns because 'he was the man' and that it was 'his job to protect her'.

Adeline agreed with him in retrospect but then proceeded to follow Jennifer, Beth and Patrica out towards the group and join them on the shooting range. Ignoring her husband's request and warning her daughter not to tell her dad where she had gone.

It wasn't a long drive, a few minutes at most. The woman had never held a gun before, the only time she'd ever seen one was when Otis carried his around the farm.

She held the unfamiliar item in her shaky hands, completely unaware of how to work the weapon. She wasn't allowed to put her finger on the trigger yet, after she had almost shot T-Dog's foot, Shane had led her further up, away from the group. Ordering her to practice holding the gun safely. She felt stupid— everyone else could do it, Andrea was, Beth and Jimmy, even Carl, an eleven-year-old boy could handle the weapon better than her and she was beginning to think her husband was right. She couldn't do this.

Rick noticed the look of disappointment on her face, placing a comforting arm on her shoulder. "Don't be discouraged, you'll get the hang of it."

Adeline nodded, the firearm unsteady in her palm.

"Here," The man offered, fixing her arms and her posture. "Straighten up and spread your legs." His boot-clad foot tapped at hers, prompting her feet to add more distance between them.

Her breath hitched, becoming slightly nervous at the close proximity.

"Your arms need to be slightly bent. You're too stiff, the kickback'll knock you right off your feet if you don't relax." Rick's hands lingered on her forearms, his head looking over hers. "When you're ready."

She took a deep breath, finger hovering over the trigger, tongue between her teeth as she focused, forgetting all of Mikael's words. Finally, pulling the trigger, and her bullet went straight through the bottle and smashed it to pieces.

Adeline gasped, "I did it!" In complete disbelief, she actually hit the target. The brunette had always been a little bit of a klutz, she wasn't expecting to hit the target, especially not on her first go. She turned to face Rick, beaming as she waved the gun around.