006 Hopeless

Six, Hopeless.

      When Rick and Shane returned home, with Randall, there were obvious complaints and confusion from the members of the farm

      When Rick and Shane returned home, with Randall, there were obvious complaints and confusion from the members of the farm. Leading to yet another debate on what they should do with the boy.

The two men were both supporting multiple cuts and scrapes on their faces. Rick had come to Adeline, asking for help with the deep gash that leaked blood on the side of his face, sitting at the kitchen table as the brunette cleaned the blood from his wound, almost standing between his parted legs.

"What happened? Was it Randall?" She questioned, stitching up the harsh injury.

The man reluctantly shook his head.

"Walkers?"

He shook his head again.

She took his silence as a sign he didn't want to talk to her, so she shut up, her lips downturned into a frown as she continued to fix his face.

". . . Me and Shane got into it over. . . Lori and the baby."

Adeline was aware the baby Lori was carrying may not be Rick's, she'd heard from Maggie, who heard from Glenn, who heard from Andrea that Shane and Lori were sleeping together whilst Rick was 'dead', or in a coma.

"I'm sorry, I can't imagine what it feels like for your—" She immediately clamped her mouth shut when she realised he might not want to discuss his wife's affair with someone he doesn't know all that well.

Her eyes caught her husband's angry stare as he lurked in the corner of the dining room, she took a step away from Rick and threw the bloodied paper towels and bandages into the trash can.

"You've got a real deep cut, don't go rolling around in any dirt, no more fights. It could get infected."

The man thanked her gratefully, placing a hand on her shoulder as a token of his appreciation when he stood up.

Mikael hurried across the room, steering the woman out of the room and up the stairs by the bone-crushing hold he had on her arms. "What are you doing?"

That was all Rick caught before they were out of earshot, a scowl on his face as he exited the house.

"What?"
"Touching him? Asking him questions?
"I was fixing his injuries."
"His wife couldn't do that?"
"He came to me."

Mikael scoffed, "You didn't have to stand so close."

"I'm sorry. . ." Adeline was confused, she didn't think she had done anything wrong but the fury on her husband's face made her think otherwise. "I'm sorry, you saw how bad that cut was. I just wanted to help him out, after all he's done for us."