002 Vile And Cruel

Two, Vile And Cruel.

      Carl was alive

Carl was alive. His surgery was successful— Shane had made it back with the supplies. Now it was just a waiting game.

The newly bald man had returned without Otis. 'Overrun by walkers', is what Shane fed them. 'He died a hero'. Saving a little boy's life.

Hershel had thankfully managed to guide the boy through the surgery with the help of Adeline. Although there wasn't much for her to do besides hold him still, prepare IVs and perform blood transfusions.

A few more members of Rick's group had arrived at the farm. Glenn and T-Dog. She had helped him stitch up the deep and almost infected gash on his forearm and gave him a place to rest. And then fixed the two newcomers a plate.

      Rick and Lori had fallen asleep beside their son's bed. Thankful and extremely grateful their son would be okay.

      The news of Otis' passing had shocked the family— Patricia was inconsolable and miserable all night whilst Jen and Addy sat by her side.

      The next morning, the grumble of an engine caused the group to divert their attention to the three new vehicles and four new members joining the farm.

      The family plus Rick's group had gathered out by the trees, ready to. . . they couldn't exactly bury the man as there was no actual body, but they would create one, to honour the man who gave his life to save a child. They had settled on a pile of rocks, each placing one on the large stack and paying their respects. Hershel had spoken, Patrica and then Shane, very reluctantly.

      Lola was more than upset that she had lost Otis, her scrabble buddy, the two had played every afternoon since the world had, well, ended. Otis had always managed to cheer up the young girl. She had lost her favourite uncle and now she was clinging to her mother's side, following her around like a lost little puppy. She stayed by her side whilst Adeline did the laundry, whilst she prepared lunch, the mother had to physically stop her daughter from following her into the bathroom. The young girl was afraid, terrified something as tragic as Otis' death could possibly happen to her mom, her dad or any of her family.

      Rick had informed everyone of the missing girl, Sophia. The adults gathered outside by a truck as Maggie laid down a map, placing rocks in the corners to keep it flat.

      "We'll grid the whole area, start searching in teams," Rick announced, fingers pointing around the map.

      "Not you, not today, Rick." Adeline shot down the man, "You gave almost three units of blood, you wouldn't make it any more than five minutes in this heat before falling flat on your face."

      The sheriff nodded, and then she turned her attention to his partner. "And your ankle. . . strain it any further and you'll be on bed rest for a month. No good to anybody."