Chapter 9 the excursion

A week had passed without any activity or attacks on any school. In the director's office, Jaxon, Alice, and Alex sat before Marc, with the imposing presence of Bjorn standing behind them.

The tone of authority in Marc's voice was evident as he talk, "Today, children, you will accompany Bjorn to explore the area around the lake and the forest. You need to know the school's territory like the back of your hand."

The young ones seemed excited about the prospect of this excursion. Bjorn added with his deep voice, "Come along, little ones, we have a lot of territory to cover."

Marc beamed with pride towards the children. "After this tour, you'll be very close to becoming protectors for the school. The next step is a visit to the Hall of Knowledge to learn about the feats of the protectors who came before you. Each one has a unique story that could provide you with valuable experience."

The children left the office with pride and confidence.

The children and Bjorn walked along the trail around the lake, bathed in enveloping light. Suddenly, Bjorn stopped abruptly, scrutinizing the faces of the young ones. In his deep voice, he presented a challenge to the trio, "Alright, I'll give you a little scenario. You spot an enemy on the other side of the lake. How would each of you reach them as quickly as possible? Alex, you go first."

Alex thought for a few seconds, then suddenly, he rose into the air a few feet above the ground, floating over the lake to the other side. Alice applauded with her usual enthusiasm, creating an atmosphere of excitement. "Now it's your turn, Alice."

Alice smiled confidently. "Here we go!" She focused for a moment, then with a silver flash, she sped across the lake at an incredible speed, leaving a trail of sparks behind her. Jaxon watched the scene, adding to the atmosphere of fascination. "And now, Jaxon, it's your turn to play."

Suddenly, Jaxon dematerialized into a whitish cloud that quickly disappeared, only to reappear on the other side of the lake, rematerializing into his physical form. The trio cheered for Bjorn. "Now it's your turn, Bjorn." The giant swiftly jumped over the lake and landed on the other side with the youngsters.

"Alright, kids, let's head back; I'm starting to get hungry," declared Bjorn, rubbing his belly. A collective burst of laughter echoed from the group. "It happens sometimes that you're not hungry," joked one of the kids. Bjorn's deep laughter resonated in an echo around the lake, adding a warm touch to the atmosphere surrounding the youngsters.

Meanwhile, Jade sat alone at the picnic table in front of her house, lost in her thoughts, replaying the events in the cell in her mind. She was still worried about what she had seen. Suddenly, something pulled her out of her thoughts, a cold breeze passed through her body. She felt a great discomfort, sensing that she was being observed, scrutinized by an invisible presence. Nervously looking around, Jade saw nothing. Then, abruptly, a black cloud appeared above her.

Jade looked up and noticed the cloud. Fear engulfed her, and before she could react, the cloud entered her mouth. Her eyes turned black, replacing the usual sky-blue color. She stood up suddenly, no longer in control of her body. Manipulated like a puppet, Jade was aware of what was happening but trapped within her own body. Tears streamed down her face as she headed towards the school.

The group was nearing the end of the trail leading to the school, and Alice noticed Jade entering the school through the door on the side of the cells. Alice found it a bit strange but didn't think much of it. However, she decided to go and invite Jade to join them for a meal.

"I'll go get Jade; I'll join you in the cafeteria," said Jade with her usual enthusiasm. Jaxon kissed her with love. "Alright, see you in a few minutes."