Chapter 61 - The Boiling Rock, Part One

After the agni kai, Eziri's pride was more than bruised. She sulked off by herself and found a quiet part of the temple overlooking the cliff. Angry, frustrated tears streamed down her cheeks and she glared at her hands. She was so disappointed in herself. Her emotions got the best of her and she couldn't believe she actually challenged her brother to an agni kai; regardless of how furious she was.

"I miss Uncle." She muttered to herself and stared out at the view, sniffling quietly. She pulled her knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around her legs. She wished for just a single moment of peace. It seemed they were always fighting a battle or running from those who wished to do harm. Eziri just wanted a damn break.

As the time went by and she remained in her solitary spot, it started to get dark. Eziri knew her friends would probably be looking for her soon, but she wasn't ready to face anyone just yet. Instead, she let herself get lost in the sunset over the valley. The hues of color brought her the smallest piece of calm and she clung desperately to that feeling.

Soon the stars were barely visible in the newly darkened sky. It was only then that Eziri heard soft footsteps approaching down the hall. She sighed to herself and wiped the evidence of her tears from her cheeks.

"Eziri?" Katara noticed her silhouette sitting in one of the large windows by the cliff.

"Guess you found me." Eziri murmured quietly, her voice slightly hoarse from crying. Katara frowned and walked over to the ledge, sitting down beside her friend. She struggled with the right thing to say. Sokka told Katara to let Eziri have some space; that she'd return when she was ready. But Katara got anxious the longer her friend was gone and ended up searching the uninhabited parts of the temple.

"I wanted to check on you..." Katara trailed off, glancing at Eziri with a sympathetic look. "But I can leave if you'd rather be alone."

Eziri pondered the offer for a minute and subtly shook her head. "It's alright. You can stay."

Katara's lips twitched upwards and she settled in, making herself comfortable. She noticed Eziri staring up at the sky and followed her gaze. "Not a bad place for stargazing."

"Almost reminds me of the desert. The stars seemed brighter out there for some reason."

Katara hummed in agreement. "Though, I think I'd rather stargaze from here."

Eziri huffed in amusement. "Definitely." She glanced over to the waterbender. "At least no one is tripping on cactus juice here."

Katara chuckled and rolled her eyes. "I still can't believe he did that." Eziri skeptically raised an eyebrow. "Ok yeah, actually I can. He's an idiot." The girls both laughed.

"Can't argue with that."

Katara smiled teasingly. "Well, I'm kind of stuck with him. You're the one that willingly picked him."

The firebender smiled fondly. "Once again, I can't argue with that."

They both turned their attention back to the sky and observed the stars in comfortable silence. Katara wanted to talk about what happened but she wasn't sure how best to approach the subject. She was spared the burden of speaking first when Eziri broke the silence.

"Does everyone think I'm nuts now?"

Katara quickly shook her head. "No." She sat up a bit straighter and turned towards her friend. "I think we were all just surprised. I mean, I've seen you argue with Zuko before but that was–"

"Extreme."

Katara tilted her head. "Yeah, kinda."

Eziri sighed. "I don't know what came over me. I was just so angry and jealous and frustrated. I just...lost it."