Chapter 8 - Imprisoned

Eziri was chained and kneeling on the floor of the throne room. Her father stood before her looking furious.

"Of all the foolish, disrespectful, stupid things you've done in your 15 years, this by far is the worst." He took a step forward. "Helping the Avatar? I did not raise you to be a worthless traitor. You're worse than your brother! I've wasted all my time training you and this is the thanks I get!?"

"Father I--" Eziri had tears in her eyes and she was choking back a sob.

Ozai rushed forward and slapped Eziri across the face. She slumped over and grabbed her cheek with a short cry of pain.

"Silence! You will not speak without permission" He grabbed the chains on her wrists and pulled her up onto her knees again. "You are a disgrace to this nation--a disgrace to this family! I raised you to be strong. I raised you to be my heir and you failed! You are a pathetic, weak, ungrateful little girl and you must suffer the consequences!"

Eziri wanted to be strong. She wanted to be stoic. But she couldn't. All she could feel was terror. Terror and shame.

Ozai walked behind her and crafted a fire whip in his hand.

"You are weak!" He sent a lash towards her back and she yelled out in pain. "You always have been weak!" He sent another lash. "You are no longer my daughter." Another lash. "You are worthless." Another lash. "Pathetic." Another lash.

"Eziri."

Another lash

"Eziri!"

Another lash

"Wake up!"

Eziri shot up and looked around in a panic. She could still feel the heat of the lashes and the anger in her father's words. She shut her eyes and tried to ground herself. Her heart was racing and she could hardly breathe.

"Eziri.." Someone shook her shoulder. She felt the tears stream down her face.

"What's happening?"

"Is she ok?"

Eziri could hear the voices around her but she couldn't move. She couldn't open her eyes. She could hardly breathe.

"She's not breathing!"

"Just back up and give her some space. I think she's having a panic attack."

There was a hushed conversation at the other end of the saddle but Eziri made no attempt to listen in. She was still struggling. It wasn't real. It wasn't real. I'm safe. It was just a dream. It was just a dream.

She felt a hand on her shoulder and flinched. The hand was immediately pulled back.

"Shit, I'm sorry."

You're safe, Eziri. You're safe. She tried to convince herself.

"Eziri, it's Sokka. We're alone." She heard movement in front of her as Sokka sat down.

"Eziri, I need you to try and breathe. Do you think you can do that?" Eziri let out a strangled sob and nodded.

"Okay, good. Just try to match my breathing." Sokka took a loud, steady inhale followed by a loud, steady exhale. He continued this a few times. Eziri tried her best to match him but she was still struggling. She was starting to get dizzy.

"Eziri I'm going to grab your hand, ok?" She nodded. Sokka gently picked up her hand and placed it on his chest. "Try to follow me, alright?" She nodded again and did her best to match the breaths against her hand.