Chapter 22 - The Deserter

The group landed in a forest as it started getting dark. They decided they would figure out where they were and plan their route to the north in the morning.

Eziri and Aang gathered food and firewood while Sokka and Katara started to set up the tent and sleeping bags.

"Did you apologize to her yet?" Katara asked as she started pulling things down from Appa's saddle.

"No. Honestly, I don't even know what to say."

"Sorry." Katara deadpanned.

Sokka rolled his eyes. "Obviously. But this time I think I really messed up."

"No kidding."

"You're not helping."

"Look, Sokka, I don't know what to tell you. You were really mean to her for no reason."

Sokka buried his face in his hands. "Ugh. I know. I'm such an idiot!"

"You are." Sokka shot her a glare. "But Eziri isn't. She's forgiven you for being stupid before, I'm sure she'll do it again."

"I hope you're right."

When Eziri and Aang returned, Eziri started building the fire. Sokka waited until Eziri was finished to approach her.

"Hey, can I talk to you?"

"To be honest, Sokka, I don't really feel like talking to you right now."

"Yeah....that's fair..." Sokka shifted on his feet nervously.

Eziri sighed. "I know what you're going to say." She lowered her voice to mimic his. "'I didn't mean what I said, blah blah blah."

"Eziri, I said some things I shouldn't have and I'm really sorry. It was stupid and you didn't deserve it."

Eziri rolled her eyes. "You promised you wouldn't yell at me like that again."

Sokka tilted his head down in shame. "I know, I'm sorry."

"Why did you freak out like that? I mean, I didn't even know Aang kept the map. I had no part in it but you still got so mad at me. Why?"

"Honestly, Eziri, I don't know. I just assumed you were helping Aang and I was wrong. I just..." Sokka ran his hand over his hair in frustration. "Gah, I don't know." Sokka stood up and started pacing. He knew why. He had feelings for her. Eziri's supposed betrayal hurt him deeply and he overreacted. But he couldn't explain that to her; not now.

Eziri rolled her eyes. "Sokka you didn't even get that mad at Aang! You just blew up at me. There has to be a reason." She crossed her arms and stared intensely up at him. Sokka just continued to pace.

"I don't know. I...I wish I could take back what I said. You didn't deserve that."

"You were such an ass."

"I know."

"What you said really hurt."

"I know. I'm so sorry."

Eziri sighed and threw another log into the fire.

"I really messed up, didn't I?"

Eziri couldn't help the sad smile that crept onto her face. "Yeah. If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were a firebender with that temper."

Sokka sat next to her and looked at her with fake horror. "I'm offended." He put his hand over his heart dramatically. Eziri chuckled.

"Hey–" Eziri shot a small puff of smoke at him. "Only I can make the firebender digs around here. You're on thin ice, buddy." Sokka smiled.