Chapter 44 - The Earth King

"Look, we escaped from the Dai Li. We got Appa back. I'm telling you, we should go to the Earth King now and tell him our plan. We're on a roll." Sokka suggested.

"One good hour after weeks of trouble isn't much of a roll." Katara countered.

"We can build on it. If we want to invade the Fire Nation when the eclipse happens, we'll need the Earth King's support."

"Sokka, even if we get the Earth King's support, I'm not sure it would help. Long Feng runs this city. We don't know if the Earth King actually holds any power. What if we risk speaking to him only to get captured for real this time?"

"Exactly." Katara nodded. "Long Feng's conspiracy with the Dai Li is too powerful. I think we should just keep flying and leave this horrible place behind us."

"I'm with Sweetness and Inferno. I've seen enough of Ba Sing Se. And I can't even see!"

"But now that we have Appa back, there's nothing stopping us from telling the Earth King the truth. About the conspiracy and the War." Aang added.

"See? Aang's with me." Sokka put his arm around Aang and smiled. "It's the whole reason we came here in the first place. We have to try."

Katara thought about it for a moment. "Well, I guess if the Earth King knew the truth, things could change."

"Does this mean we're outnumbered?" Eziri gestured between herself and Toph.

"I don't trust the new positive Sokka." Toph stuck her finger in his face. "Long Feng brainwashed you, didn't he?!"

Eziri stifled a laugh and Sokka took a step back.

Aang noticed a few boats on the lake and pointed to them.

"That's probably the Dai Li searching for us." Sokka said. He turned to his sister. "So?"

"Let's fly!" Katara answered. Eziri groaned and reluctantly joined the others on Appa.

As Eziri and Katara expected, the group was attacked by Dai Li agents the second they got close to the palace. The five of them fought their way inside, trying their best not to actually hurt any of the earthbenders. Katara even apologized after every hit.

They wandered through the palace, in search of King Kuei. Sokka climbed over a pile of rubble and noticed something ahead.

"Now that's an impressive door. It's gotta go somewhere." He jumped down and ran up to the door. He kicked and pushed as much as he could but the door wouldn't budge.

"Maybe you need to pull the door instead of push it." Eziri suggested sarcastically. She fought to hide her laughter when Sokka actually tried it. Toph and Aang jumped down and shoved the door open with their bending, sending Sokka flying as well. "A little warning next time?" He whined as he rubbed the back of his head.

Eziri walked over and helped him up. They all saw the Earth King sitting on the throne with Long Feng and the Dai Li there to protect him.

"We need to talk to you." Aang said.

"They're here to overthrow you." Long Feng said to the King.

"No, we're on your side. We're here to help." Sokka argued.

"You have to trust us." Katara added.

The King stood up, looking angry. "You invade my palace, lay waste to all my guards, break down my fancy door, and you expect me to trust you?"

"He has a good point." Toph said quietly. Eziri nudged her.

"If you are on my side, then drop your weapons and stand down!" King Kuei ordered.