chapter 2

I went downstairs taking the stairs one at a time, I found my mom leaning against the doorframe of the front door looking at me.

_ ''Hey mom.'' I greeted her, she didn't react, and she was still looking at me or more specifically at my big and full bag, bow and arrows haging on my back.

Her eyes wonder on my black suit that I was wearing that consisted of leather pants and jacket, four daggers hanging on my waist and two other on my boots, sayf the village designer made those suit to everyone who have the possibility to be chosen today, my hair is put in a long braid that go down my back.

_ ''We never know.'' I shrugged and smiled at her.

She didn't smile back.

_ ''you are not going to be chosen.'' She said with so much confidence that even I believed her, her brown eyes filled with tears, I look a lot like my mom, brown eyes, long light brown hair, we are both short and emotional, this is a hard time for my mom, she don't want any of her children to go to war and die there, she already accepted the fact that Kayla is going to be gone, but me if I was to be chosen, she'd have a heart attack, she's my best friend, we did everything together, I love my mom with all my heart, she was the one who held me while I cried when people at school were mean to me , she's the one who stayed up at night when I was sick, who baked cake for my birthday, who told me that I could be whoever I want just not a soldier or a knight like my dad, my mom and dad knew each other since they were kids, my dad never lost a chance to remind everyone that he knew the second he laid his eyes on her that she was going to be the love of his life when he was ten, they got married when they were eighteen, they had Kayla, and then my dad was named knight of the king's guard at the age of twenty, it was his dream since he was kid, he was delighted when he received the news, at first it was fine, valaris was safe , except some crimes there and there, people trying to steal the throne (dumb people) being a knight wasn't that dangerous back then, a dragon bonded with him, a big and beautiful blue dragon, and he became a rider like his dad and his dad before him, so he was sent to the front in case someone decided to attack valaris, and that's what happened, my dad was there when Sundar attacked the kingdom, he almost died multiple times, when we heard the news, my mom was hysterical, I was hysterical, I cried myself to sleep every single night after that, praying to the gods for my dad safe return, my mom was a mess at that time, every time she saw something that reminded her of dad, she'd burst into tears, until four months after the start of the war, my dad came back on the back of Akeem his dragon, with a cane in his hand because he lost a leg, he couldn't fight anymore, Akeem wasn't in good shape either, he had many holes in his wings but he was still able to fly, I'll never forget the cry my mom let out when she saw him, or the way he ran to her even with one leg, and hugged her like she was the only thing that kept him standing, than he hugged Kayla, and then he turned to me, and that's when I lost it, I wrapped my arms around him like he was the only thing that kept me standing, the days after were hard for my dad, he was angry at himself, he was still alive but he couldn't protect his kingdom, he didn't die like the others, he was just hurt and he had the privilege to lay in his bed while his girls took care of him while others where still fighting , I think he was ashamed more than anything else, and I didn't know why because we were all so proud of him, when I say we, I mean all the people of oathdow our village, he was our hero, he even received a message from the king himself to ask about him, because my dad was one of his favourites knights, but he still hated himself for being injured, until the news of recruiting people out of the king's guard to fight reached oathdow, since that day my dad took it as a responsibility to train everyone to fight or to be a rider, and he did a pretty good job at it, everyone today is less stressful, they're ready to be soldiers or riders because of him.

_ ''Of course I'm not going to be chosen.'' I forced a smile on my face. ''Do you think I'd dare to leave you?''

_ ''No you wouldn't dare.'' She said with a laugh while wiping her cheeks. ''I promised myself I wouldn't cry.''