* 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨 *

--*--*

𝑨𝒅𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒏𝒆•

I watched as my husband walked into the lounge with my smiling mother following behind him, I observed as he said something to my mother that made her laugh, and a small smile spread across his facial features. My mother approached me placing a gentle kiss on my cheek before ushering us toward the dining table where the maids had placed dinner lamb shank navarin one of my favourite dishes as a child.

"Merci beaucoup mère" I thanked her sitting across from her, as Ares took a seat beside me I could feel his gaze on me but ignoring it I began placing food onto my plate.

"Adrienne, can you meet me in my office after dinner?" Ares questioned, forcing my gaze off my food and toward him.

"I can, but may I ask why?" I asked with confusion evident in my facial features.

"I'll discuss that with you then." He spoke as he placed her cutlery onto his finished plate, thanking my mother before walking toward his office.

"He is a very nice man, even speaks French!" My mother exclaimed smiling, I paused.

"French, he speaks French?" My eyes widened in surprise, remembering all the times I had talked about him to Claudia in French with him in the room! I placed my cutlery onto my plate placing it into the sink, before making my way toward Ares's office. I gently knocked before entering he looked toward the door while holding his phone close to his ear, pointing to the seat in front of his desk while he finished up on the call.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked as he placed his phone into his pocket.

"The ball, I would like to know what happened?" He spoke his voice rough, I shifted in my seat as he placed my phone on the table I swiftly grabbed it.

"What do you mean?" I asked looking away from him as he sat down across from me on his desk's edge.

"I think we both know what I mean." His fingers grasped my chin, guiding my eyes toward him.

"What do you want to know then?" I ask fiddling with my wedding ring as he looks down at me.

"What happened that night with Leonid" He asked as I began to grow nervous.

"Um, I wanted to get away from the table, and then you offered to come and I told you no and I wanted to go alone" I paused thinking back, if he did come would Leonid still have come to talk to me? "I heard footsteps behind me and so I thought you had followed me and when you didn't reply that's when I got worried and then he um" I swallowed blinking my tears away "He um grabbed my arm and congratulated me on our engagement and then proceeded to tell me he would see me soon" I let out a bitter laugh wiping the tears that was running down my face.

"Now that I think back to it, it isn't that big of a deal" Ares clenched his jaw, shaking his head.

"How do you know Leonid?" I froze at his question, I could feel him looking at me.

"Um, when I was 9 my father wasn't happy with how I was acting and so he thought sending me to Russia to Leonid would fix me for marriage, I remained in Russia until I turned 12 when my father's reputation was in danger he thought my return would benefit him." My voice was wobbly, I watched as Ares rested a comforting hand on my clasped hands as he remained silent.

"You don't know how to reply to that do you" I let out an uncomfortable laugh, pulling my hands out from under his, before standing up.

"If that is all you needed me for, I would like to leave." He nodded walking back around to his computer, I don't know what I had expected from him but my heart hurt from his reaction.