Chapter 2

Clack, clack. A stray rock ricocheted off Isac's sneaker as he stepped outside. They were free from the hellhole called school. Taking out his trusty iPod, he put his earbuds in his ears, turned his iPod on and pressed "shuffle". A quite fimiliar song began to play.

Just because I'm losing
Doesn't mean I'm lost...

"Did you want to listen?" Isac offered Liam an earbud as they started on their way home. Liam accepted and placed it in his ear. They had to stand close because the staggering difference of heights quickly took up a large portion of the cord's length.

Just because I'm hurting
Doesn't mean I'm hurt
Doesn't mean I didn't get
What I deserved
No better and no worse

"I love this song..." Liam muttered, most likely to himself. But Isac overheard.

"Hah yeah, me too." He replied. "We do have a lot of similar music tastes!"

"True."

===

After twenty minutes of walking, the two arrived at Isac's house. He unlocked the door and they let themselves inside. No parents at home. Typical. They made their way up to Isac's room and threw down their stuff. "I'm so glad it's Friday," he said with a yawn.

"Same here! We have like three days of school left." Liam replied.

"Mmhmm! So, your birthday will be soon."

"So it will!"

"What do you want to do?" Isac asked. "I mean, you don't have to spend it with me, if you don't want to."

"Are you kidding me?" Liam practically shouted. Then his voice softened. "Sometimes you don't see your value, I swear." He smiled. "You're my best friend. I wouldn't miss a birthday with you for the world."

Upon hearing those words, Isac's stomach fluttered a little. "Good. I wouldn't either." As usual, Liam always managed to make Isac feel special. HE's the special one, Isac thought. "So what do you want to do?" He repeated.

Liam sat contemplating for a moment. "What about camping?"
At that, Isac shuddered a little. "With all those bugs..?"

Liam let out a short burst of laughter. "We'll find a campsite that has barely any bugs! And we'll bring bug repellant just in case," he reassured.

Isac looked up at his friend. "If camping is what you want, then we'll make it happen. I can drive us, we'll just need the clear from our parents."

"Easy. It's not like we haven't gone off on trips by ourselves before." Liam suddenly stood up and walked over to Isac's nightstand. He opened up the displayed record player, not something you'd see often. "I love this thing! You have the coolest stuff!" He shuffled through a myriad of records and settled on one that read "Contra" on the front. It had a picture of a rather surprised looking blonde woman. "Contra... Is this one new?" He turned to Isac, who was still sitting on his bedroom floor.

"Yeah. I ordered it a little while ago and it came yesterday."

"Cool." Liam gingerly took the record out of its case and put it on the turntable. He turned it on and carefully placed the needle on the edge of the rotating disc. Immediately, music filled the room.

Having the song memorized, Isac began to sing along.

"In December, drinking horchata
I'd look psychotic in a balaclava
Winter's cold is too much to handle
Pincher crabs that pinch at your sandals."

Liam grinned and abruptly pulled Isac off the ground. "Care for this dance?" He bowed and held his hand out, encasing Isac's.

Isac smiled. "Dork. My best friend's a dork."

"I'm taking that as a 'yes'." Liam pulled Isac into a tango pose and started marching to the beat, Isac giggling and Liam cackling like a madman.

Winter's cold is too much to handle
Pincher crabs pinch at your sandals
Here comes a feeling you thought you'd forgotten
Chairs to sit and sidewalks to walk on

Taking his hand above his head, Liam twirled Isac around, all fancy-like. These were the moments Isac lived for. His problems didn't matter. Other people didn't matter. He was having fun with Liam and he was happy.

The moment was intrrupted when there was the sound of a door closing and a "I'm hooome!"

Letting go of Liam's hand, Isac dashed over to the record player and turned down the volume. The happiness immediately rushed out of him, replaced with disappointment. "Hi, mom!" he yelled. "Okay. Let's put a hold on the dancing."

They talked for a while. There were a few remarks of "we should start on the homework" but honestly, who wants to work on homework on the last Friday of the school year?

Their conversation was cut short with the loud slam of the front door and yelling.

A/N: Woohoo! Second chapter done! Whatever will happen next..? Anyway. Thanks for reading!
Song credits: The first song was "Lost!" by Coldplay, and the second song was "Horchata" by Vampire Weekend.