Chapter 1

Tick tock.
Tick tock.
Tick tock.
Isac watched as the minute hand crept around the clock, painfully slow. He tried to focus his attention to the speaker in the front of the room, Mr. Maars. But all he could hear was "blahh blahh, math math formulas formulas." He couldn't stand math. It was his worst subject, and there could be so many other, more useful things to be doing. Like drawing.

Often he found himself creating little characters on the margins of his papers. The only two people who appreciated them were his language arts teacher and his closest friend, Liam.

He and Liam had known each other for years. They did practically everything together. From walking home to out-of-state vacations, they stuck together like glue.

A loud ringing and a "have a good day" pulled Isac out of his thoughts. He grabbed his school work in his arms and stumbled to the door. As usual, Liam waited for him right outside.

"Ugh. Boooring!" Liam complained and nudged Isac gently with his shoulder.

"No kidding. I'm so glad the year is almost over!" Isac exclaimed. "But I can't believe we're having a test the day before school ends..." he said; they had been notified of a group test to be completed and handed in on the second to last day of school.

"Ah well, don't worry about it too much. I don't think very many people will take it seriously anyway." Liam reassured. "I'm just hoping I'll be put in a group with a lot of smart people!" Liam grinned.

"Haha yeah, good point." Isac smiled back. His friend always had this way of cheering him up and making him feel better when he was down. He just wished that he could make Liam happier, too.

"Hey, Isac, you still there?" Liam craned his neck to look at Isac, their major height differences showing. Isac looked up at his taller friend.

"O-oh, yeah, sorry. Lost in thought again..." Isac replied.

"Hah, per usual. Okay, well, see you later. We're still walking home together, right?"

"Of course!" Isac watched as Liam flashed him one more smile and a "cool, see you then" before he disappeared into his next class.

A/N: This chapter wasn't super exciting, sorry! I just wanted to introduce the characters a little. I'll try to update frequently, but in the meantime, thanks for reading!