CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN: NICOLAS FLAMEL
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

WHEN ALEX RETURNED to Hogwarts she was beyond happy to be away from her family. Every second around them was like pure torture, especially after she wasn't a Slytherin. Lucius was the worst of them all, he belittled her for every little thing she did, and Narcissa and Draco just watched. It was like walking on glass around him. She was constantly reminded how much her mother and father would be disappointed in her.

The only peaceful place in Hogwarts was under a small tree. She leaned her back up against the trunk. Winter was slowly beginning to fade away, although there was still snow on the ground.

She heard footsteps in the snow behind her and she turned her head. "Oh, Neville, hey." She greeted quietly as she stood up.

He looked at her. "Hey Alex, what are you doing out here?" He asked. "It's kinda chilly."

"Just needed somewhere quiet." She told him. "Did you need something?"

He shook his head. "No- I just wanted to make sure you were alright. I saw you leave the Great Hall."

She nodded. "I'm okay, thank you."

-

Not even a week later, Alex was already roped into the mess with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Only because she accidentally came across them in the library one day. Now she spent a too much time there, trying to help them find something on Nicolas Flamel. She flipped through the same textbooks she had been for the past couple of days.

She groaned as she looked up at Ron and Harry, Hermione was back looking for books on the shelves. "Can I go?" She asked.

Ron looked up at her. "Only if I can go with you." He said, resting his head on his hand.

Hermione came back, seemingly an idea in her head. "I had you looking in the wrong section, how could I be so stupid?" She said slamming a book onto the table. "I checked this out weeks ago, a bit of light reading."

"This... is light?" Ron asked.

She glared at him and started flipping through the pages. "Of course! Here it is! Nicolas Flamel is the only known maker of the philosophers stone."

"The what?" The other three asked in unison.

"Honestly, don't you three read?" She asked, they exchanged glances before looking back at Hermione. "The philosophers stone is a legendary substance with astonishing powers. It'll transform any metal into pure gold and produce the elixir of life, making the drinker immortal."

"Immortal?" Ron questioned.

"It means you'll never die." She explained.

"I know what it means!" Ron said, with an offended tone.

"Shh," Alex mumbled.

Hermione continued, "The only stone currently in existence belongs to Mr. Nicolas Flamel, an alchemist, who last year celebrated his 665th birthday. That's what Fluffy is guarding! That's what's under the trap door. The Philosopher Stone."

The other three exchanged glances as the dots connected in their heads.

-