CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR: SORTING CEREMONIES
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

ALEX LOOKED AROUND THE castle as the first years gathered in front of large doors. "The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," Hagrid said with a small nod.

"Thank you. Welcome to Hogwarts!" She announced. Professor McGonagall was in green robes."Now in a few moments, you will pass through these doors, and join your classmates, but before you can take your seats. You must be sorted into your houses. There are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Now while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points, any rule-breaking and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup-"

Before McGonagall could continue a toad was croaking. "Trevor!" Neville exclaimed and ran up and grabbed his toad. She looked a bit annoyed but didn't do anything about it. "Sorry."

She nodded and Neville rejoined the group. "The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily," she explained. She walked off.

"It's true then," someone said, Alex instantly recognized it to be Draco. Everyone turned to him. "What they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts."

A few mumbles of "What?" Could be heard by several students. Alex didn't know much about Harry Potter, just that he was the one who basically made her father disappear.

"This is Crabbe and Goyle. And I'm Malfoy, Draco Malfoy," he introduced. There was a loud laugh from another student. "Think my names funny do you? No need to ask you yours, red hair and a hand-me-down robe. You must be a Weasley." Alex frowned amongst herself, realizing her own hair was red. Why was Draco doing this? "You'll soon find out that some Wizarding Families are better than others Potter. You don't wanna go making friends with a wrong sort. I can help you there."

Draco stuck his hand out and Harry didn't do anything. "I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thank you very much, thanks," he said, ignoring Draco's hand still.

Alex couldn't help but laugh to herself, although she probably shouldn't have. Suddenly McGonagall returned, patting Draco on the shoulder which sent him back by Crabbe and Goyle. "We're ready for you now. Follow me."

They walked into the Great Hall, and Alex was taken aback by the ceiling. It looked like the night sky, she overhear Hermione explaining it but didn't catch on. She gasped a bit but continued walking.

The hall was full of other students and the staff was at the front of the room. McGonagall stood in front of all the first years as they gathered around. The rest of the students were watching.

There were also four large tables in the Great Hall, which Alex assumed represented the four houses. They were stacked with plates and silverware that shined due to the lighting of the Hall.

There was a stool and a dusty hat in front of them. "Now when I call your name, you shall come forth and I will place the Sorting Hat on your head and you will be sorted into your houses," she explained. "Abbot, Hannah."

A girl walked forward and sat down. She also had bushy hair similar to Hermione's. She looked nervous.

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

The girl smiled and hopped down as the Hufflepuff table applauded, she happily skipped over to the table.

"Bones, Susan."