CHAPTER NINE; the landmines

"as my opponent, you want me to live longer? why not just kill me?"

...

YOU WERE SITTING ON THE ground below one of the sun shelters with Marvel two days later.

Cato and Clove sat under the other, and Derek sat not too far away as a lookout with his spear.

The landmines had all been dug up from around the pedestals and you and Derek had reburied them around the supplies.

"Guys. Guys, look!" Marvel suddenly spoke and jumped to his feet. "Over here. Come on, come on. Look!"

You stood up to be closer to his level and noticed as he pointed his spears into the distance that he was pointing at smoke.

Cato and Clove appeared at Marvel's other side, also looking to the smoke.

"Let's go." Cato spoke before looking back at Derek, who was now standing up. "You stay guard and don't move until we can get back."

Then the four of you began running towards the woods in the direction of the smoke as Derek sat down again.

"Who do we think it is?" Marvel asked with a laugh as you made your way through the trees.

"Probably the little girl from 11." Clove smirked.

"If it's Lover Boy, I'm killing him." Cato stated as you got closer.

"Could be the girl from 5." You suggested. "Maybe she's not as smart as she thinks."

You reached the source of the smoke to find a bunch of sticks and leaves on fire, but no tribute.

Then the loud sound of an explosion came from your camp, and you realized it was a trap.

"Oh, I swear to God." Cato turned on his heel and started sprinting, the rest of you running after him.

You got back to the camp where almost all of your supplies, except for your own weapons and what was by your shelters, were blown up.

"I don't know what happened." Derek told Cato, looking around.

"What the hell happened?" Cato demanded.

"I don't know!" Derek stumbled back as Cato snatched his spear and threw it away.

"Our stuff!" Yelled Cato.

I turned my head away from the supplies just in time to see Cato grab Derek's head and snap his neck.

The kid fell to the ground, and Cato turned around.

He was mad, but now so were you. You fought back the urge to kill Cato right then and there, but you knew doing that would guarantee your own death.

Walking back to the shelters, you were looking through your backpack when you could hear screams.

"Katniss! Katniss, help!" It was Rue, the little girl from 11. Her voice was faint, but you could tell where it was coming from. "Katniss!"

Marvel could too, and he was soon to his feet. Cato was looking in the direction of the screams and Clove kicked around some of the broken supplies on the ground.