CHAPTER FOUR; the scores

"the tributes were rated on a scale of 1 to 12 after three days of careful evaluation."

...

"Y/N L/N." YOUR NAME WAS called over the P.A. and you stood up from your seat on the bench.

You practically jumped to your feet, you had been waiting eagerly since Glimmer was first called.

As the door shut behind you, you strode across the Training Center confidently until you reached the swords.

Only few of your spectators were talking, most had their eyes trained on you.

"Y/N L/N," You announced yourself, keeping a tight grip on the sword in your hand. "District 3."

There were dummies and targets set up in your. vicinity. You were confident in your skill as you showed off your abilities with both the sword and the knives until you were done.

Most of the dummies were on the floor, missing limbs and large gashes in their faux skin, while the targets all had knives in their middles, almost perfectly centered.

Few of the Gamemakers were muttering amongst each other, while some nodded. Then you put the sword back in the stand and left.

Scores were to be aired that night.

You sat on the couch in your apartment, Derek close beside you and Beetee on an armchair to the side. Both your stylist and Derek's had come by that night to see the scores. Your stylist sat on your right, the opposite side to Derek, and Derek's stylist stood behind the chair.

On the large television screen, Caesar Flickerman's wide, cheesy smile took over the screen, his bright blue hair, something commonly found in the Capitol, stuck out against the black background like a sore thumb.

"As you know, the tributes were rated on a scale of 1 to 12 after three days of careful evaluation." He spoke and you leaned forward in your seat, nervous to hear what number they had given you.

First, Marvel's face appeared on the screen, and you had to hide the smile that fought to form on your face.

"From District 1, Marvel Sanford, with a score of nine." The large 3D number hovered over his face, before both faded and Glimmer appeared.

She also got a nine, and both tributes from District 2 received a ten.

Then Derek's face appeared onscreen.

"From District 3, Derek Campbell, with a score of six."

Derek frowned, but his stylist pat his shoulder. "You got above a five. That's good."

"From District 3, Y/N L/N," You held your breath, both of your hands in front of your mouth as you anxiously waited for Caesar to say the number, your face hovering beside his. "With a score of nine."

You got a nine!

You let out a sigh of relief and let yourself relax against the couch.

"Good job." Derek forced a smile and you looked to him.

"You too."

He shrugged.

The girl from District 5 ended up getting a five, which seemed to comfort Derek a little more, but the little girl from 11 got a seven. The boy from 12, Peeta Mellark, got an eight, and Katniss Everdeen from District 12 got an eleven.

An eleven.

The highest score out of all the tributes was the female tribute from District 12. She had to be good.

It got late pretty quickly, and quite sometime after dinner you found yourself on the roof again.

Of course you were waiting for Marvel again. You had your back to the door as you looked out at the view of the Capitol.

The next night would be the tribute interviews, then it would be the Games.

The sound of slow clapping coming from behind you caused you to turn. Marvel stood with a dumb smirk on his face, as per usual.

"Wow, a nine. Congratulations." He stopped clapping and slipped his hands into his pockets, approaching you.

"I could say the same to you." You smiled before mimicking his voice, which was much deeper than your own. "Wow, a nine. Congratulations."

He chuckled and shook his head, rolling his eyes at the same time.

"What skills did you show off?" You asked. "Spear?"

"Ah, you know me too well already." He leaned against the ledge beside you. "What about you? Sword?"

"How much time do you spend watching me during training?" You laughed and he looked into your eyes.

"Probably a bit more often than I should."

"And how often should you be looking at me?"

"Not at all."

"And how often do you look at me?"

"All the time." His hands were quick to grab onto your cheeks, cupping your face and bringing it towards his own.

Your hands sat where his jaw met his neck on the sides of his face as the two of you kissed.

In just two days, the two of you would be in the arena, fighting to the death.

"Please join our alliance." Marvel mumbled against your lips as you pulled back for air. "Please."

You looked into his eyes, your faces closer than ever while your hands brushed against his short hair.

"Why?" You asked. "Why do you want me to be with you guys so badly?"

"Because otherwise they'll try and kill you."

"They're gonna try and kill me anyway." You laughed breathily and he chuckled.

"True." You connected your lips with his once more. "But you'll last longer with us."

"And you want me to?" You let your hands fall behind his neck. "As my opponent, you want me to last longer than the other tributes?"

"No, as your opponent I want to win." He brushed his hand against your cheek. "As your boyfriend, I want you to last longer than the other tributes."

"Boyfriend?" You raised an eyebrow and he kept a straight face.

"I like you, you like me, we make out on this goddamn roof every night." He shrugged. "It makes sense."

At first, you wanted to laugh. He wanted you to be his girlfriend before going into the murder arena where you're expected to kill each other?

It sounded insane. But, to be fair, Marvel was a little crazy.

Being his girlfriend just sounded like it would make things a million times more interesting.