CHAPTER SIX; the bloodbath

"now we go and find the girl on fire"

...

YOU WERE SAT BETWEEN DEREK and Cato on the hovercraft to the arena.

A woman was going around and putting trackers into each of the tributes' arms.

When the thick needle went into your arm, you didn't even flinch. Mostly because you didn't want Cato to think you were weak. He was intimidating.

"Give me your arm." The woman spoke to Katniss.

"What is that?" Questioned Katniss.

"Your tracker."

And soon enough after all 12 of you in the craft had your trackers, you were flying.

Directly across from you was Thresh, the District 11 male tribute. Next to Thresh was Marvel.

You spent the entire flight maintaining eye contact with Marvel. Neither one of you looking away for even a second, but both of you kept completely straight faces. Not so much a twitch of the mouth.

After you landed you were guided by Peacekeepers to a room where your stylist was waiting.

She helped you finish getting ready, giving you your jacket and helping with finishing touches on your hair.

That didn't take long and as she zipped up your jacket, a robotic voice played through the room.

"Thirty seconds."

Anticipation bubbled in your stomach as you turned around to face the tube that would lift you up into the arena on a pedestal.

"Good luck, Y/N." Your stylist told you.

"Thanks." You then took your place on the pedestal and waited as the countdown went on.

Then the glass door slid shut and you were going up.

Standing on your pedestal, your eyes adjusted to the sudden bright light.

You were outside. Below the pedestal was grass, and trees surrounded the large field of grass where the Cornucopia sat.

Weapons, resources and equipment all lied in the mouth of the Cornucopia, and you could make out some of the objects.

Backpacks, bow and arrows, knives, swords.

You looked around at the different pedestals until you spotted Derek. He was staring at you, terrified.

Then the minute countdown began and you prepared to run the moment it hit zero.

The bright yellow holograms of numbers above the Cornucopia were soon in the single digits.

6... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

When it hit zero, you were sprinting towards the Cornucopia like majority of the tributes were.

The first thing you got your hands on was a sword and when some kid tried fighting you for it, you slashed his chest. Multiple times.

The you practically jumped to your feet and grabbed a backpack.

You noticed Derek scrambling around grabbing a knife and you tossed him the backpack in your hands.

You could've killed him, but you couldn't help it if you had a soft spot for the kid.

He picked up the bag, his eyes flickering to you for a second, before he ran away from the Cornucopia.

You grabbed a different bag and as a girl tried running past you, you slashed her arm.

She fell to the ground, right in front of Marvel. He had a backpack in one hand and a spear in the other. And he knew how to use a spear pretty well.

Glimmer was on the ground nearby stabbing one of the tributes over and over.

You were going through different smaller supplies that would fit in your pockets when another tribute ran towards you with a knife, he swung at you and you dodged it before swinging your sword and cutting into his side.

He yelled out in pain and fell to the ground. You got to your feet again and raised your sword, bringing it down onto his head.

You turned to see Clove throwing a knife at Katniss, who was running away from the Cornucopia with a backpack.

You stepped over the body of the boy you had just killed and closer to the Cornucopia itself.

Thresh ran out of the Cornucopia and into the trees somewhere and soon all of the other living tributes, except for the Careers, were gone.

Cato killed the last kid in the Cornucopia, the young boy from District 4, and approached the different swords on the wall.

Marvel walked up to you as you wiped the blood off your own sword and onto your pants. Some blood had splattered onto the side of his face, probably from when he killed a kid.

You reached your hand up and wiped the blood from his cheek. Your expression was blank, as was his, but he stayed still and let you wipe away the red that would otherwise dry on his skin.

As he stared into your eyes, he wanted to kiss you. You were already sweating and looking pretty disheveled, but after he watched you with your sword, he couldn't help being ten times more attracted to you than he had been before the arena.

You had finally agreed to joining their alliance the night before, when you met with Marvel after the interviews. You weren't technically a Career, but you were part of their group. For the meantime, anyway.

Once you finished cleaning the blood off of the blade of your sword, you grabbed a backpack and threw a few extra supplies into it.

Glimmer was picking up the bow and quiver of arrows, Cato was going through the different weapons, Clove was collecting as many knives as she could find, and Marvel was comparing two spears.

The sword in your hand was larger than most on the wall, and you had already adjusted to its weight, so you kept it on hand.

You picked up a thick hunting knife and stuck it into your belt as a backup. Just in case.

You weren't able to carry two swords, and actually carrying around a backpack would just slow you down.

So you settled for the sword and the knife in your belt.

Then the cannon went off eleven times, marking the number of dead tributes. Cato chuckled before cracking his neck.

"Now we go and find the Girl on Fire." Cato stated and the five of you headed off into the woods.