25 - Selfishness

Did Jax sleep that night? You'd be wrong if you guessed he did.

If Caine thought windex would be a viable solution for PomPom (fuck now his thoughts even called her that corny nickname) then what else would he come up with? Maybe now however, the gravity of the situation would be drilled into Caine's head, and he would ACTUALLY TRY to help. But, his AI wasn't the sharpest.

He lay awake on that uncomfortable digital mattress next to his digital "girlfriend" whilst wallowing in digital discomfort. A knock sounded loudly at the door. 

He exited his room to come to the realization that it was already morning. He really stayed up all night. It hadn't felt like it; maybe his thoughts "raced" at such a slow pace that 10 hours ended up feeling more like 1. But, usually mornings didn't start with a knock on the door-

Something rattled against his foot as he took a step out. A slight clink came from the object as he looked down. The second antidote. Or at least he assumed that's what it was. The liquid inside was clear, but Jax didn't trust that it wasn't a cleaning product. 

He hesitantly picked it up and watched as the liquid sloshed inside with every small movement. A solemn sigh escaped his mouth. Time and time again, he put PomPom's safety in Caine's hands. Like Caine cared. 

Did he regret this though?

His mind flashed back to that wretched day, where he was cutting holes in everyone's blankets with a pair of scissors. The naive jester, not expecting the sudden turn in her life, had just exited her room when Jax had decided "Why not trip her as well?" God would he live to wish he hadn't done that. Or would he? 

He almost liked this feeling of love, this feeling of happiness he felt with Pomni. If he had never tripped her, if she had never come across the potion, or if Caine had never dropped it in the first place, he probably never would've experienced this fluttering feeling in his chest and the hotness of his face when he blushed. 

Again, his eyes glanced down to the bottle in his hands. A sly, almost evil, smirk spread across his face. Yes, he may have had the antidote, but who said he had to give it to Pomni? Maybe he could savor this feeling of passion for a couple more days before giving it to her... or maybe he'd never give it to her at all.

Maybe he should give into the urges. The same urges that Pomni had.

But he wouldn't let himself go that far. At least he was aware he was affected by a curse (or at least he believed he was). He waltzed back into the room, a fake sensation of happiness overcoming him. A selfish feeling. He just wanted Pomni all to himself for a couple of days. 

He hid the "antidote" in a cabinet in his room, and lay back in the bed with Pomni. His thin right arm wrapped around her (his left one was still broken) and he pulled her in as close as he could. She was still sound asleep. He nestled close to her, and they exchanged body heat as he placed his lips gently atop her head. He never wanted to give away this feeling. He came to the realization that he needed this love in his life. All of this happened for a reason.