24 - Death

Jax had been in his room for the past 3 days and he wasn't planning on leaving anytime soon. He was too busy worrying about the girl that had captivated his attention, making him feel things he'd never remembered feeling before. And he had felt unbearably stupid, for putting her in the hands of Ragatha. He knew something was off with Ragatha, he could just sense it. His head rested in his hands somberly.

"God, I swear if something dares to happen to Pomni..." As if he were in a book, he strongly believed that just him saying that after days of silence would cause a knock to sound at his door. Alas, it didn't. Maybe this world wasn't a story at all. The anticipation of Pomni's state frightened him to the point his bones shivered.

His ears perked up. Again, he awaited a knock that wouldn't come anytime soon. A slight chuckle began in the back of his throat. Was he turning soft? Desperate? Was this feeling he was experiencing love? And was it caused from the potion or maybe, had these feelings developed for other reasons?

No, no. It had to have been the curse. Jax couldn't think of any other reason why these feelings would erupt inside of him like a volcano, especially so suddenly. It was like cupid had hit him with an arrow, the arrow flying through the air with great amounts of speed and slamming so hard into his chest that he would never recover. 

...

No knock. He sat there for another hour. He longed to hear Pomni's melodic voice. Just one last time. Jax couldn't bear to even believe the thought that if Pomni died it would be his fault. If that wouldn't cause him to abstract (which he knew it most definitely would) then he didn't know what would make him reach his breaking point. If he didn't have Pomni, he almost yearned for that feeling of finally going insane, finally being free of which the others referred to as a "digital prison."

...

No knock. Are we even surprised anymore? Jax finally gave up. He laid down on his bed and stared at the floor where her mattress used to be. It almost didn't set right with him, knowing she wasn't there anymore. 

He stared.

And he stared.

Is she gone? Is this all Caine's fault? Or is it mine?

He sat up. These thoughts were haunting him almost as if it was Pomni's spirit. Even though he didn't know if she was dead or not yet. He walked along the creaky wooden floor, his footsteps echoing in his head as his heart pounded against his chest. He sat down where Pomni used to sleep (or at least where she used to sleep before they ended up sleeping together, which still flustered Jax.)

He... felt something... something he didn't believe he had ever felt before. It was cold, and it felt weird against his purple fur. Then another, and another. He had never cried since he entered the digital circus, so to see it happen now was very unnerving. Had Pomni really affected him this much?

He shook a little bit, as tears continued to flow down his cheeks. Wait a minute, he had felt this before. He had cried in this circus. But only with Pomni. Pomni was the only one that allowed him to feel real emotions. And deep down... he loved it. Almost as much as he loved that crazy little jester, even if her feelings were just a facade she didn't decide to put up.

He laid upon the cold, uncomfortable, and hard wooden floor. Oh gosh, how he missed Pomni...

-

Jax was awoken by a sudden knock on his door. At first he waved it away, thinking little of it. Then he realized. Someone had knocked on his door. He sat up at once, giving him vertigo due to how he shot up like a bullet. He wiped dried tears off his cheeks, realizing he had fallen to sleep still crying at the thought of his loss. But now was the time. Now was the time to see if Pomni was really dead.

He ran over to the door and swung it open with such vigorous force that it would make you think someone would've told him he had won the lottery. Nobody was there. Was this some sick, cruel prank pulled on a love sick man?

He felt something. Arms wrapping around him. It caught him by raw surprise, as nobody was there. At least, nobody was there until he looked down. 3 colors met him immediately. Red. Yellow. Blue. He didn't have to think twice.

"POMNI!!!" He grabbed her and lifted her up in the air just to see her beautiful beaming smile. Salty tears rolled down his already matted cheeks once again. 

"POMNI POMNI POMNI!!! I'M SO SORRY, I THOUGHT YOU DIED IT'S ALL MY FAULT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TRUSTED CAINE I WON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN AND I-"

"STOP RAMBLING YOU CRAZY BUNNY BOY!!!" She dove down and kissed him hard on the lips. He didn't even feel the need to resist. He was so reassured that she was alive that he didn't even care how long they made out for, or how out of breath he would become. He fell backwards on the floor, happiness flooding over him until the point he felt he was drowning. But he didn't want to be saved. Not from Pomni he didn't.

"HOW ARE YOU ALIVE, WHAT HAPPENED?!" He set her down and she laid down next to him. 

"Caine... didn't want to go into detail. He told me he had like... selected me to like experiment on or something... he didn't say why he just said I had a random chance just like everyone else..."

Jax didn't have the guts to tell her that was a lie. 

"And Ragatha told me that Caine put together this experiment last minute and uh... gave me windex because he said something about blue and orange cancelling each other out which I REALLY do not understand but all I remember from after I drank it was feeling extreme pain throughout all my organs. I felt like I was lit on fire. And then I woke up in Ragatha's room and she took care of me but she told me you didn't care enough to come..."

"Well she's lying. She wouldn't let me in! All I wanted was to be with you PomPom~" He was pissed off that the stupid rag doll would lie to Pomni. First, she had nearly died and now she's being manipulated by a maniac.

"Also, I slightly recall Caine telling me that tomorrow he'd give me the next test liquid or whatever I should call it... I'm not sure really, but-"

"So, you just came back to consciousness, you almost died, and he wants to continue this game of Russian roulette TOMORROW OF ALL DAYS?! God give us time to recover!!" She laughed slightly, with true affection in her voice. It almost made him forget that she didn't actually love him.

"I do agree, I mean I'd really need time to get over waking up with a tube in my nose y'know... OH, I FORGOT TO TELL YOU!!! TO GET THE WINDEX OUT OF MY SYSTEM THEY HAD TO LIKE PUMP FLUIDS INTO ME THROUGH A TUBE TO FLUSH IT OUT!!!"

"Ouch, that doesn't sound pleasant."

"At least we have something to joke about over the next few days~"

"PomPom... I think I like, really like REALLY love you. I cried at night afraid you would actually... y'know... perish..."

"Well now that I'm here Jaxy~ you'll never have to cry again~" The bunny hugged her tight, to which she returned with zero hesitation. 

DID I TRICK YOU GUYS WITH THE TITLE??? I WAS REALLY TRYING TO